- Sugar 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons, divided • 470 kcal
- all-purpose (plain) flour 1/3 cup
- Salt 1/4 teaspoon • 1 kcal
- Milk 2 1/2 cups • 49 kcal
- Eggs 4 large, separated • 130 kcal
- Butter 1 tablespoon • 717 kcal
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- vanilla wafer cookies 5 cups
- Bananas 4 ripe, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
You’ll be coming back for more with this gorgeous banana pudding! With a layer of vanilla wafers, bananas and custard topped off by crisp yet chewy meringue, this dish makes a showstopping dessert.
In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, and salt.
Whisk together milk and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk milk mixture into sugar mixture, and mix until smooth.
Cook over a medium heat while whisking constantly for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the mixture is very thick. Remove from heat, and whisk in butter and vanilla.
In a large, deep baking dish, add half of the vanilla wafers, half of the sliced bananas, and half of the custard. Repeat the layers.
Preheat oven to 350F/160C fan/gas mark 4.
In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue onto custard.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm, or cover and keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.