- Steak 1 pound round
- Garlic powder 1 tsp
- Black pepper 1/2 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp • 1 kcal
- Flour 2 tbsp
- Olive oil 1 tbsp
- Onion 1 small, diced
- Mushrooms 1 cup sliced
- Beef broth 1 1/2 cups
- Cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- Sour cream 1/2 cup
Beef stroganoff is a rich and creamy beef dish surprisingly easy to make at home. Originating from Russia in the 19th century, this dish has become a standard in many households. Strips of beef are sautéed and then cooked in a delicious brown sauce. The meat and sauce are then served over noodles for a complete meal. This recipe uses cream of mushroom soup to make the sauce even easier to make and still very tasty.
- Thinly slice the round steak into strips about one inch thick. Season the meat with the pepper, salt and garlic powder and sprinkle with the flour. Toss the meat to coat it completely in flour
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet with high sides and add the beef strips. Brown the beef quickly on each side then remove it from the pan and set aside for now.
- Add the diced onion and sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until the onions are soft and the mushrooms are beginning to brown.
- Add the pre cooked beef strips, beef broth and cream of mushroom soup to the skillet. Stir briefly then cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, add the sour cream and stir to richen the sauce.
- Serve the beef and sauce over noodles (egg noodles are the traditional type to use) while still hot. Enjoy!
-If you would like to freeze the beef stroganoff, make the recipe up to step number 4. Freeze the sauce and beef without the sour cream or noodles- both can be added later when you go to eat the dish again!
-If you would like to make this recipe a little less fattening, skip the sour cream- it will still taste amazing!