- Refined flour 1 cup
- Sugar 1 tbsp • 470 kcal
- Salted butter 3/4 cup
- Chilled water 1/4 cup
- For filling
- Blueberries 2 cups, fresh or frozen
- Sugar 1 tbsp • 470 kcal
- Cornflour 1/2 tbsp
- Fresh lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Fresh lemon zest 1/2 tbsp
- Milk 2 tbsp • 49 kcal
A generous slice of nicely prepared blueberry pie is a sure shot route to reach the state of nirvana! Here we bring to you a delightful way to add the antioxidants rich blueberries in your diet, coupled with a divine pie crust and amazing lemon flavors…
This blueberry pie has the perfect balance of sweet, salt and tart to tingle your taste buds coupled with the nicest flavors in the world. So, try out our version of the classic fruit pie dish and do share your experience with us.
- Add the flour, sugar, and butter to a large bowl.
- Now, rub all the ingredients together with tips of your fingers until a crumb like texture is achieved.
- Pour water into the flour mixture and gather it all together until a dough is formed.
- Do not handle the dough too much and wrap it tightly in a cling film.
- Put the wrapped dough into the freezer for about 30 minutes before you start working with it.
- Take a large ball of the chilled dough and roll the dough in only one direction or upwards (without going back and forth) to a thin circle of about half a cm height, big enough to easily cover the entire inner diameter of the pie dish.
- Now, place the rolled dough circle over the clean and dry pie dish. Adjust the rolled dough nicely in to the dish and use a knife to neatly cut off the extra dough from the edges of the pie dish.
- Chill the dough in the dish again for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, take another medium sized ball of the dough and roll it into a thin round again, while moving the rolling pin in one direction only.
Using the cookie cutter of your preference, you may cut out many pieces of the rolled dough that should be enough to cover the top of the blueberry pie.
- Place the cut out dough shapes on to a plate and chill them too for about 15 minutes before using.
- Preheat the oven at 250 degrees C.
- Nicely mix all the filling ingredients, that is, the blueberries, sugar, cornflour, fresh lemon juice and, lemon zest into a bowl.
- Now, transfer the filling mixture to the chilled pie base and spread out the filling evenly all over the pie dish.
- Carefully place the cut out dough shapes atop the filling so as to cover a major part of the blueberry pie.
- Lightly brush all the visible pie dough with milk and transfer pie dish in to the preheated oven.
- Bake blueberry pie at 220 degrees C for the first 20 minutes and then lower the heat to 180 degrees C for the next 10 minutes or until the pie gets a nice golden color all over the crust.
- Remove pie dish from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before enjoying a large slice of pie!
- Make sure you chill the dough long enough before you start working on it.
- Do not over handle the dough else the pie crust will not be flaky in texture.
- You may add a few shreds of fresh mint leaves to give a nice aroma to the blueberry filling.
- Add only chilled water while kneading the pie dough.