- Hot dogs 10 to 15
- roll of pull pastry 1
Hot Dog Mummies are a creative take on the classic Pigs in a Blanket where hot dogs are rolled into puff pastry and baked until golden. These Homemade Mummy Hotdogs are perfect for your next Halloween party. Can you actually make a delicious appetizer with only two ingredients? Yes, that’s all you need! Strips of puff pastry are wrapped around sliced hot dogs, to create “Hot Dog Mummies”. They taste like a savory puff pastry appetizer but are much more fun. It will definitely get your guests talking. If you’re thinking of hosting a party soon, why not make these Mummy Hot Dogs… they might look spooky, but they taste delicious!
Expert Tips for Homemade Mummy Dogs
– You can use canned biscuit dough, pretzel dough, or even pizza dough for the mummy hotdogs. As long as the dough can be rolled into strips.
– You can also make eyes by adding a dot of mayo and adding nigella seeds or black sesame seeds.
– Serve these with a dip like honey mustard, ketchup, or salsa.
– Use mini hot dogs for a mini version, but make sure that you roll out the puff pastry thinner. If you use larger hot dogs or frankfurters, make sure to precook and cool them before wrapping them with the puff pastry.
– You can make a keto-version of these mummy hot dogs. Simply combine melted mozzarella (1 ½ cup) with 2/3 cup almond flour. Knead until you form a dough. Roll the ‘dough’ in strips, and use it to wrap around the mummy hot dogs. Make sure to use grain-free hot dogs if you’re making a keto or gluten-free recipe. Precook the sausages, as the dough will bake quickly in the oven. This way, you can ensure the hot dogs are cooked through completely. This keto-friendly dough can be stored in the freezer. Simply allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight, and then allow it to get to room temperature before you use it.
How to store Mummy Hot Dogs
These Homemade Mummy Hot Dogs can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. Reheat in the oven until crispy. You can also use the microwave, but it might not be as crispy.
How to make Hot Dog Mummies
Cut hot dogs halfway down the middle to create legs.
Then make two cuts diagonally from the middle to create arms.
Roll puff pastry into a thin rope and begin wrapping the mummified hot dogs from top to bottom.
Space out your mummies on a baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 10-15 minutes.
Let cool for a few minutes and then use mustard to make mummy eyes.
Serve and enjoy!
Feel free to use breadstick dough for this recipe. Any dough recipe where the dough can be rolled into a thin strip will work.
Serve the Homemade Mummy Hot Dogs on a platter with carrot or celery sticks, fresh grapes, and other sliced fruits.