- Potatoes 1 kg
- Grated parmesan cheese 50 gr
- Pecorino cheese 50 gr
- Eggs 3 • 130 kcal
- albumen 2
- Breadcrumb as much as is needed
- Parsley as much as is needed
- marine salt as much as is needed
- Black pepper a pinch
- mozzarella 200 gr
- Peanut oil 1 l
The potato croquette is a must-try of Italian cuisine: a simple potato croquette with a soft and stringy heart of mozzarella, a pinch of pepper and some parsley. To prepare them you need to use floury potatoes, those yellow-fleshed, which are the perfect ones to obtain a compact mixture that will not break while cooking. The following recipe contains an infallible breading which does not break away from the mixture. You just need to follow 3 steps: flour the croquette, roll it in albumen, and then in the breadcrumb.
Wash potatoes and cook them in salt water for almost 30 minutes. Check the state of the cooking with a fork. When they are cooked, drain them and let them cool before peeling them. Mash them with the potato-masher in a bowl (1). Add pepper, pecorino cheese, parmesan cheese and eggs (2). Chop the parsley and add some into the bowl before mix everything. Wet your hands and take some mixture, place some mozzarella cubes in the middle(3). Close the mixture and give it a cylindrical shape.
Prepare the breading: put some flour on a plate, albumens on another plate, breadcrumb on another. Roll the croquettes in the flour, then roll them in the albumen and, at the end, in the breadcrumb (4). Arrange all croquettes on a plate. In the meanwhile, heat the peanut oil in a pan.
When the oil is hot, start frying croquettes (5), a few at a time. When they are golden enough, take them off with the skimmer and put them on a plate with some absorbent paper. Serve them hot and stringy (6).
– If you want a more appetizing version, stuff them with some ham too.
– Do not make potatoes boil too much, or it will be harder to shape croquettes.
– Fry them in plentiful hot oil, and do not fry more than 3 at a time (in order not to reduce oil temperature).
– If the mixture is too soft, add some flour or breadcrumb before starting the breading process.
– Drain mozzarella cubes well before using them (in order not to moisten the mixture too much).