Canestrelli are a traditional Italian cookies. They are known for their delicate, crumbly texture and sweet, buttery flavor. These cookies are often served with tea or coffee, and are perfect for special occasions or as a simple treat.
To make the perfect canestrelli, be sure to use high-quality ingredients and handle the dough gently to preserve its delicate texture.
As you put a cookie in your mouth it immediately feels like heaven.
Delicious lemony flavor, super soft and butter-ly texture with a light crunchy bite.
Because they are made with boiled egg yolk, yep something new in the world of shortbread cookies, but that’s what helps them stay fresh for DAYS and even weeks.
Here is a simple recipe to make traditional Canestrelli:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. In a large bowl whisk flour with powdered sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, and vanilla.
3. Add butter to the mixture and work it in with your fingers until coarse crumbs form.
4. Pass egg yolks through a small sieve and mix them into the dough. Form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic, and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Roll the dough out to 0.5 cm thickness and cut out flower shapes.
6. Bake cookies on a cookie sheet for 20-25 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.