Hawaiian chicken is a flavorful chicken recipe you can easily make in just 45 minutes. Similar to pineapple chicken, this recipe is sweet, tangy, and rich in tropical flavor as it pairs golden brown chicken with pineapple. Just combine the ingredients in a pan with the chicken broth and tomato ketchup for an impressive dish with a creamy, thick sauce. Serve Hawaiian chicken with a light side like a bowl of rice or a salad to get you straight to Hawaii.
Making this Hawaiian chicken recipe is easier than you may think. Start by cutting the cleaned chicken into medium pieces and let them sear into the pan. Once golden brown, set chicken pieces aside and add the green bell pepper and pineapple into the pan and sauté for a few minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, salt, ketchup and paprika, then add the sauce into the pan and stir. Add in the chicken broth and let it boil, then add the chicken pieces, cover with a lid and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
– You may replace olive oil with any vegetable oil of your choice.
– You may adjust the chili content according to your preference by adding or removing sweet paprika to the Hawaiian chicken.
– You may prepare this amazing dish with just the breast or thighs of the chicken. This preparation also turns out nicely with skinless and boneless chicken pieces cut in to small cubes.
– To thicken the sauce add cornstarch slurry while chicken is cooking. To prepare the cornstarch slurry, add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch to 1 tablespoon of water and mix it until the cornstarch dissolves nicely and no lumps are present.
– For a stronger tropical flavor, make a coconut marinade. Combine soy sauce, coconut milk, sesame oil, brown sugar and garlic, then let the chicken marinate overnight.
– You can also bake Hawaiian chicken. Combine all ingredients in a safe-oven pan and bake to 325°F for about 1 hour, stirring the chicken occasionally.
Clean and trim the chicken nicely. Cut the chicken in to even size medium to large pieces with a sharp knife. Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium flame. Add the chicken pieces to the pot and sear it nicely until golden brown in color. Flip all the chicken pieces and sear another side to golden brown.
Remove chicken pieces to another bowl and add the green bell pepper to the same pot you cooked chicken in.
Add the pineapple chunks to the pot and sauté it for 2 minutes on low flame.
Add brown sugar to a small bowl, along with soy sauce, garlic cloves, salt, tomato ketchup, sweet paprika and mix all the ingredients until well combined.
Add the sauce mix to the pot and give everything a nice stir.
Pour the chicken broth in to the pot and let it boil. Add the seared chicken pieces to the boiling broth and cover the pot with a lid. Cook the chicken on medium heat while stirring intermittently until 15 to 20 minutes or till the chicken cooks thoroughly.
Sprinkle the scallion greens over the pot. Serve hot Hawaiian chicken with rice and enjoy!