Lovely zesty lemon glaze icing is an effortless way to jazz up your favorite baked treats, adding a professional-looking touch with an extra pop of flavor. You only need 3 ingredients to make the perfect lemon glaze – a little butter, some powdered sugar, and of course, freshly squeezed lemon juice. In less than 5 minutes, you'll have a sensational yet simple homemade icing to dress up your favorite desserts. Lemon glaze is a perfect icing to make no matter the season.
– If your lemon glaze is too thick, add a splash or two more lemon juice or warm it in the microwave a little longer.
– To thicken your lemon glaze, add more sugar, one teaspoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
– Wait until your cake (or muffins, bread, or scones) has cooled down to about room temperature. If the cake is warm, the glaze won't set as well.
– For anyone on a low-carb diet, you can make a keto lemon glaze icing by swapping the powdered sugar for a sugar substitute. Erythritol is a popular choice with keto bakers.
– Use room temperature lemons – you'll get more juice out of them.
– Whisk the ingredients together well to avoid lumpy icing.
Lemon glaze icing is so versatile and is a fantastic way to add a bright zesty flavor to your favorite baked treats. Drizzle it over everything from bundt cakes, pound cakes, cupcakes, muffins, shortbread, scones, sweet breakfast bread, and more. This simple icing's lovely lemony flavor mingles well with plenty of other flavors including vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, blueberry, and ginger.
Whether you're making it ahead or have leftovers, you can store lemon glaze icing in an airtight container and refrigerate. It'll keep for up to 7 days.
Swap powdered sugar for erythritol or other sugar substitutes to make a keto-friendly lemon glaze.