- Pasta One box
- Cheddar Cheese 2 cups grated
- Parmesan cheese 1/2 cup grated
- Milk 3 cups • 49 kcal
- Butter 1/4 cup • 717 kcal
- Flour 3 tbsp
- Dried basil 2 tsp
- Ground pepper 1/2 tsp
- Melted butter 2 tbsp
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs 1/2 cup
Macaroni and cheese is definitely a family favorite in many households. However, many times people opt for the boxed version of mac and cheese. This homemade recipe is so much better and actually quite easy to make! The key is in the cheese sauce which is made from scratch. Parmesan and cheddar go perfectly together to make this mac and cheese irresistible. A thin layer of crunchy bread crumbs is the perfect topping to this dish and any shape noodle will do so pick your favorite!
- Finely chop or grate the cheese. Set aside for now.
- In a small saucepan, melt the 1/4 cup butter and whisk together with the flour. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the milk, basil and ground pepper to the sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook for about 5-8 minutes to let the sauce thicken.
- Whisk in the cheese and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix the bread crumbs and melted butter to form the crumb topping. Set aside for now.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir well to coat the pasta completely.
- Divide the cheesy pasta into two smaller 8×8 casserole dishes or one large 9 x 13 dish. Sprinkle with the bread crumb mix.
- Bake the mac and cheese in a 350 ̊F oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve while hot!
-If wrapped well, this macaroni and cheese will freeze well for up to a month.
– Try using different combinations of cheese to fit your families preference, just be sure to use cheeses that melt well.