- For 12 cupcakes
- Butter 60 g, at room temperature • 717 kcal
- Eggs 1 • 130 kcal
- White sugar 150 gr • 392 kcal
- Bitter cocoa powder 2 tsps
- Food coloring 2 tsps, red color
- Vanillin 1/2 tsp
- Buttermilk 125 ml
- 00 flour 160gr • 517 kcal
- Baking soda 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder for sweets 1 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp • 1 kcal
- White wine vinegar 1 1/2 tsps
- For the frosting
- Confectioner’s sugar 300 gr
- Butter 50 gr, room temperature • 717 kcal
- Light cream cheese 200 gr
The Red Velvet Cupcakes are a variant of the classic Red Velvet Cake, a very tasty American cake whose peculiarity is the beautiful bright red that contrasts beautifully with the white of the frosting. The Red Velvet Cupcakes are perfect for your Valentine's Day, easy to prepare and, alternatively, they can be also filled with vanilla cream or prepared in a light version without butter.
How to prepare a Red Velvet Cupcake
Preheat the oven at 180 degrees. Work the butter with sugar and the egg until you get a frothy cream. Blend the cocoa powder, the food red coloring and the vanillin, and add to the mixture. Add also the buttermilk (if you do not have it, add 18gr of lemon to milk and blend) and the flour with the baking powder alternately. In a bowl, blend the wine vinegar with the baking soda and the salt and add to the red mass and blend well. Fill the paper cups, previously placed in your mold, and bake for about 20 minutes. After having pulled them out of the oven, let them cool. Prepare the frosting by mixing the sugar with the butter, then add the cheese and whip well until you get a smooth cream. Then, with the help of a sac a poche, put this cream on your cupcakes. Decorate as you wish, for Valentine's day it would be nice to decorate them with some red hearts in sugar paste.
Buttermilk: What is it and how to prepare it?
Buttermilk is a butter derivative and milk and it is used to prepare very fluffy desserts. If you cannot find it, you can do it at home.
You will just need 125 grams of partly skimmed milk and 125 grams of low-fat white yogurt. Put the milk in a bowl, add the yogurt and blend until you get a very thick cream. Let it rest for about twenty minutes and cover the bowl with a film. Here’s to you, the buttermilk!
Some tips to make some perfect Red Velvet Cupcakes for Valentine’s Day
- If you want more aromatic Red Velvet Cupcakes, you can add half a teaspoon of vanillin;
- You can substitute the buttermilk with milk, but then your recipe will be quite different from the original red velvet cupcakes recipe;
- For the food coloring, you can use a liquid one or powder; you cannot prepare Red Velvet Cupcakes without food colorings;
- If you want to check if your cupcakes are cooked, just try them with a toothpick.