- White rice 1 cup
- Whole Milk 2 cups
- Sugar 1/2 cup • 470 kcal
- Salt 1/4 tsp • 1 kcal
- Egg 1 • 130 kcal
- Dried cranberries 3/4 cup
- Butter 1 tbsp • 717 kcal
- Vanilla Extract 1 tsp
If you love creamy rice pudding, then this is the recipe for you! White rice is cooked and then combined with whole milk, vanilla and other delicious ingredients that are practically irresistible. This recipe is the perfect ‘base' rice pudding for any other flavors or mix-ins you might want to add, so get creative! White rice works well however try using brown rice for some added nutritional value to your rice pudding.
- Wash the white rice by pouring it into a sauce pan and covering it with water. Pour it through a strainer and place the rice back in the pot. This will help remove some of the starch and make the rice pudding creamier.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions, usually by covering it with water and boiling it, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes or until all the water has absorbed.
- In a clean saucepan, add the cooked rice to the whole milk along with the sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer and let cook until thick, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes
- Whisk together the egg and vanilla and then slowly pour into the rice pudding, stirring constantly over low heat. Stir for about two minutes then turn the heat off.
- Add the butter and cranberries and stir until the butter has melted.
- Serve warm immediately or cover the rice pudding and allow it to cool in the fridge until you are ready to eat it!
-Almond extract is a fantastic and simple variation of this recipe. Almond cranberry rice pudding- you can't go wrong!
-Almond milk and coconut milk will also work well for this rice pudding recipe. Simply substitute the 2 cups of whole milk for the milk of your choice
-If you need to follow a gluten free diet, this is the perfect dessert for you! Just make sure the rice you purchase is labeled as gluten free.