- Water 1 cup
- Sugar 1/2 cup • 470 kcal
- Strawberries 3 cups
- Fresh lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Vanilla 1/4 tsp
With just a few simple ingredients, you can make delicious granita right at home! Granita is a perfect light dessert that can be served completely frozen in a bowl or you can try it as a drink by letting it thaw slightly. Originating in Italy, this tasty treat is also frequently used between dinner courses as a palate cleanser. While this strawberry version is best as a full dessert, try making a lemon granita if you'd like a small something to serve between courses.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar and bring it to a boil and immediately turn it off. Stir to make sure the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Clean and hull the strawberries and place them in a blender. No need to slice them as they will get blended anyway!
- Pour the sugar syrup, lemon juice and vanilla into the blender as well and puree the mixture until smooth.
- Pour the strawberry puree into a small container, cover and freeze.
- After about 2 hours, remove the container from the freezer and use a fork to scrap the frozen parts away from the sides and towards the center of the bowl. This will help create that light airy fluff that makes the granita so delicious! Return the container to the freezer and after another two hours, repeat this step.
- After about 6 hours the granita should be frozen solid. Use a fork to scrape the surface of the granita and create icy flakes. Serve immediately while cold.
-Keeping the sugar to water ratio is important in this recipe as it ensures the granita is the correct texture. If you decide to use a different typ of fruit, be sure to keep this ratio the same!
-If you do not have fresh strawberries, frozen berries will do fine
-If you would like your granita to freeze faster, pour the puree into a metal pan to freeze. The metal sides get cold quickly and will help freeze the granita quickly.