This ultra-easy vegan apple pie recipe is a delicious dessert that everyone will enjoy. It's a great apple pie recipe suitable for vegans and vegetarians which features a homemade vegan pie crust. This recipe is gluten-free and can be made sugar-free with a few simple tweaks. The dairy-free pie crust has a bit of crunch which goes beautifully with the cinnamon-scented apple filling. It's a wonderful dessert to make in any season, but it's especially good during the autumn when apples are in season. Make homemade vegan apple pie for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or other special occasions.
Virtually any baking apple will work in this apple pie recipe. Granny Smith, Braeburn, Pink Lady, Winesap, Honeycrisp, and Jonagold are all brilliant options. You could use multiple apple varieties for a more complex flavor.
– Taste the vegan apple pie filling after you remove it from the heat. If it needs a little extra sweetness, go ahead and add more sugar.
– To make this recipe without sugar, substitute sugar for your preferred sweetener. Stevia works well in this recipe.
– For a fancier vegan apple pie, add nuts to the streusel topping.
– Grate the nutmeg for the apple pie filling yourself – it'll give better flavor.
– If you don't have brown sugar, use coconut sugar instead.
Place the ingredients for the pastry into a food processor and blend until a dough begins to form.
Place the dough in a bowl, cover with cling wrap, and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes.
Cut apples into cubes.
Heat apples, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
Preheat the oven to 360°F. Grease a springform pan with coconut oil. Take the dough out of the oven. Reserve 1/3 of the dough and set to the side. Roll out the dough, then press it into the springform pan to form a crust. Be sure to form the crust up the sides of the pan.
Pour in the filling.
Crumble the reserved 1/3 dough over the top of the pie.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.