Read on to know about the surprising side effects of using honey.

Honey is considered to be one of the healthiest sweetening agents that also offers various health benefits. Read on to know about 14 unexpected ways in which using honey may harm us.

Food poisoning. Raw honey or unpasteurized honey may result in food poisoning as it contains pollens, bee wings, propolis, and honeycomb particles, which may trigger our digestive system.

Botulism. If raw honey is consumed by infants or toddlers under 12 months of age, they may get botulism, which is basically a result of poisoning from bee venom.

Abdominal discomfort. Honey is rich in fructose, overconsumption of which can affect the gastrointestinal system.

Allergic reaction. The pollens present in raw honey may trigger an allergic reaction in some people.

Anaphylactic shock. Consuming raw honey or it in large quantities may trigger an allergic reaction that may lead to heart failure, shortness of breath, and even death.

Increased blood sugar. Limit your consumption of honey as it contains both sucrose and glucose, which may shoot the blood sugar levels.

Lower blood pressure. Presence of oligosaccharides in honey, which is a carbohydrate with the antioxidant property, can lower the blood pressure to a dangerous level.

Nerve damage. Raw honey contains grayanotoxins, which are poisonous for our nervous system and can be eliminated by pasteurizing honey before consumption.

Weight gain. Honey is high in calories and consuming it in large quantity may result in gaining of excess body weight.

Tooth decay. High glucose and fructose content of honey may stimulate the bacterial activity in the mouth and can lead to tooth decay.

Internal bleeding. Consumption of honey should be avoided by people with bleeding disorders.

Interaction with drugs. Honey should be used carefully with antibiotics, anticoagulants, anti-inflammatory drugs, heart medications, medications for nervous systems, weight loss supplements, and stomach intestinal medication.

Toxic reaction. Honey produced from the rhododendrons nectar contains certain toxins that may affect our cardiovascular system and decrease blood pressure.

Infection. Honey should be avoided by people with weak immunity as it increases the risk of bacterial and fungal infection.