We often think dogs can eat pretty much anything. But strange as it may be, there are some ‘human’ foods that are very toxic to dogs. So, even if Fido begs with those puppy-dog eyes, don’t feed him these 8 foodstuffs!
If your dog licks up a small beer spill on the floor, it’s not a big deal. However, if he is able to down half of your glass, then you should be very worried. Alcohol has a dehydrating effect on both humans and dogs.
But in dogs, consumption of alcohol can lead to alcohol intoxication much quicker (which makes sense, since the majority of breeds are much smaller in size than you). Thus, don’t leave your drinks unattended where your pooch can sip on them, and wipe up spills as soon as possible.
Avocados are quite expensive, so it’s likely not something you would regularly feed to your dog (if ever). But this is important to keep in mind in case you are lucky enough to have an avocado tree in your garden. The skin, flesh, and pit of an avocado contains a compound called persin. Although dogs are more tolerant towards to this chemical than other animals, too much avocado can be toxic.
You yourself might enjoy preserved pork products such as ham or bacon, but it’s best not to give them to your dog. They’ll surely enjoy the taste and even beg for more, but their stomachs don’t handle the high fat and salt content of these foods very well. If your dog consumes large amounts of processed meats it could damage their pancreas, causing it to stop functioning.
Are people even still feeding chocolate to their dogs? It’s been known for a while now that chocolate isn’t good for dogs. It contains caffeine, which can lead to vomiting, dehydration, or seizures. Different breeds seem to react differently to chocolate, so experts are not yet exactly sure what the threshold is for a ‘safe amount’ of chocolate. In this case, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Feeding your dog foods that contain garlic can cause it to have anemia with side effects ranging from pale gums, elevated heart rate, to weakness. All members of the allium family (i.e. onions and leeks too) are bad for Fido.
Grapes may look harmless, but they are very toxic to dogs. Experts are still unsure what specifically in grapes are responsible for the toxicity, but your pooch might experience vomiting or even kidney failure if they eat grapes, raisins, cranberries, or currants.
7. Ice cream
Dogs are somewhat lactose intolerant (depending on the breed), and are not capable of digesting dairy products very well. While it might not be the end of the world if they take a small bite of your ice cream, it’s best if they don’t eat large amounts.
You might be thinking, ‘Who feeds their dog xylitol?’. But with more and more sugar substitutes on the market, xylitol has become a popular featured ingredient in many products. So, your dog could be more at risk than you think. If you use a lot of low-sugar products in your home, make sure to read the label first to see whether or not the products contain xylitol before you consider giving some to your pooch.
In the end, the phrase “spoilt rotten” comes to mind: while we fully encourage you to spoil your best friend from time to time, be sure that you err on the side of caution and don’t just stuff their face with anything you can think of. After all, you love your dog enough so as not to want to put him in harm’s way.