- Butter 1 tbsp • 717 kcal
- Extra-virgin olive oil 1.5 tbsp + 1 tsp extra
- Onion 1, chopped
- Cloves Garlic 4, peeled and sliced
- Mutton or beef 250 gr minced
- Tomatoes 2, chopped
- Salt 1.5 tsp • 1 kcal
- Fresh basil leaves 8
- Fresh basil leaves 6, roughly sliced
- Sugar 1 tsp • 470 kcal
- Tomato puree 150 gr
- Tomato ketchup 2.5 tbsp
- Black pepper powder 0.5 tsp
- Lasagna sheets 6-8 dry
- Egg 1, beaten • 130 kcal
- Ricotta cheese 50 gr, roughly crumbed • 140 kcal
- Mozzarella cheese 2 cups, grated
Many a times, we all try out ways to feed a hearty, one pot dish to our beloveds without keeping them devoid of the lovely flavors that fantastic world of food has to offer! American lasagna is one such dish, which will certainly appeal to all the senses of your loved ones. It is not only very convenient to prepare, but is filling, flavorful and very fancy looking preparation. You may either enjoy it as a chilly day supper, or serve to a large gathering of delightful friends while your whole house exudes brilliant aroma of your cooking endeavors.
- Melt butter with 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add onion and sauté it for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook it for another minute.
- Now, add minced mutton and cook the mixture for 5 minutes, while stirring intermittently until light pink in color.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until tomatoes soften a little.
- Stir in 0.5 teaspoon salt, sugar, black pepper powder, tomato ketchup, tomato puree, half of the sliced basil leaves and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes or until mutton mixture is almost cooked.
- Boil enough water in a pan to easily immerse the lasagna sheets. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon oil to the boiling water. Now, add the lasagna sheets carefully into the boiling water so that they don’t break.
- Cook lasagna sheets until al dente and then drain them. In another bowl, add one fourth of the mozzarella cheese, remaining basil leaf slices, ricotta cheese and beaten egg together. Mix all the ingredients of the egg mixture together until well combined. Preheat oven at 250 degrees C.
- Now, place a ladleful of mutton mixture at the base of the baking dish.
- Spread lasagna sheets over the layer of mutton mixture so that it evenly covers the baking dish. Put one third of the egg mixture over pasta sheets followed by one third of the grated mozzarella cheese. Repeat the same process, that is, half of the remaining mutton mixture, then half of the remaining pasta sheets, then half of the remaining egg mixture, and then half of the remaining cheese.
- Repeat the same process again one last time, that is spread the remaining mutton mixture evenly all over the baking dish, arrange fresh whole basil leaves evenly over mutton mixture, then put the remaining lasagna sheets, then the remaining egg mixture and finally the remaining mozzarella cheese over the baking dish.
- Bake this in the preheated oven for 12 minutes or until the cheese melts and turns nice golden brown evenly on top. Enjoy!
You may preassemble and arrange lasagna sheets with the mixtures in the baking dish even a day in advance and store it in a freezer. Just thaw the lasagna for about 15 to 20 minutes before baking and serve immediately.
Ensure to not over cook the pasta. You may refer to the cooking instructions mentioned on the box of the lasagna sheets to get perfect al dente pasta.
You may replace mutton mixture with either beef or chicken mince as well. Just time the meats well so that you do not over or under cook your meats.
You may spice up the dish with 0.25 teaspoon each of dried oregano and dried basil while cooking the mutton mixture as well.