These Apple Pie Fries may look like typical French fries, but they taste like apple pie! This quick and easy recipe turns the classic apple pie that so many enjoy during the fall period, into crispy bite-sized fries. They’re sweet with all the apple pie flavor. Each bite is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
You don’t need an endless list of ingredients either. With a jar of apple pie filling, store-bought pie crusts, eggs, sugar, and spices, you’ll have a crunchy treat in no time! Need to quickly serve up a dessert for unexpected guests? Bring out the apple pie fries with a caramel dipping sauce—they’ll love it!
This recipe comes together in just a few steps. First, make the apple pie spread by blending the apple pie filling until the mixture is smooth and spreadable.
Unroll the pastry sheets and spread with apple pie filling. Place the other pastry sheet on top and then cut into strips. To make the cutting easier, you can place the layered pastry sheets in the freezer until firm. Bake until golden.
– Look for refrigerated pie crusts in-store, also known as short crust pastry. You can also make your own short crust pastry. In a food processor, blend together 14 oz all-purpose flour, 7 oz cold butter, and a pinch of salt until it starts to resemble crumbs. Slowly add 3.2 oz of cold water and continue to process until just combined.
– Make your own salted caramel sauce. Cook 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup water, ½ cup heavy cream, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon unsalted butter until golden.
– You can also make these in the Airfryer or deep-fry them for extra crispiness!
– If you’re using apple sauce, the filling might not be sweet enough. Add a bit of honey or sugar to the filling before blending it.
– To make your own apple pie filling, cook chopped apples with a squeeze of lemon, water, and sugar until thickened and apples cooked through.
The Apple Pie Fries will keep in the fridge (in an airtight container) for up to 2 days. They can also be frozen. Reheat in the oven to retain crispiness.
Here are a few more apple pie-inspired recipes you’ll love!
Blend apple pie filling until almost smooth.
Spread apple mixture evenly between two pie crusts.
With a pizza roller, cut and 1-inch wide fry shapes going vertically down the crust.
Mix sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Brush fries with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon mixture.
Bake at 180°C/350°F for 20 min. Serve with a drizzle of caramel sauce.
These Apple Pie fries are delicious served with a steaming cup of hot chocolate!