This is an easy summer recipe to make if you have an overabundance of zucchinis from the garden. Beef Stuffed Zucchini is quite the tradition in Italy, where it is often enjoyed, with each family having their own twist on the recipe. With ingredients like ground beef, zucchini, tomato, and cheese, it’s a great low-carb recipe—healthy and full of nutrients. It’s also easy to customize the recipe with ingredients you like. This dish is packed in beefy flavor, with rich tomato sauce. This will become your new favorite summer recipe… try it today!
First, precook the zucchinis in boiling water. If you skip this step, the zucchinis will be undercooked. Prepare the meatballs by mixing together all the ingredients and rolling them into small balls. Set aside while you wait for the zucchini to cook.
Assemble the Beef Stuffed Zucchini by pouring the sauce into the zucchini, adding the meatballs, and finally topping with cherry tomatoes and cheese. Bake until golden and enjoy!
– If you’re not interested in a low-carb dish and want to stretch the recipe, feel free to add cooked rice, quinoa, or couscous to the beef and tomato mixture.
– We used cheddar cheese for this recipe, but feta cheese, parmesan, and even mozzarella will all work well.
– Any variety of zucchini will work, and you can even use pumpkin or butternut too!
– For extra flavor, you can sauté the mini meatballs in a bit of oil until it browns.
– If you want a quick shortcut, you can use the ingredients to make a casserole. Chop the precooked zucchini and add to a casserole with ground beef, tomato sauce, cherry tomatoes, and cheese. Bake until golden.
– The zucchinis can be precooked in the oven too. Simply drizzle with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.
– This recipe will work with ground chicken, turkey, and even sausage meat!
The assembled (unbaked) dish can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Cut the zucchinis and remove the core.
In a bowl add minced beef, grated onion, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, egg, oil, starch, and mix it well together.
Add some chopped parsley. Mix and make small balls.
Put the round zucchinis into a pan full of oil. Fry them and put them into another pan. Add some salt and grated cheese.
Put the balls into the zucchinis.
In a small bowl add tomato paste and some water. Mix and pour onto zucchinis.
Add some grated cheese onto them and cherry tomato on top.
Bake at 190C for 50 minutes. Serve.
Serve the Stuffed Zucchini Boats with a green salad or fresh bread.