- Flour type 00 120 gr (1 cup)
- Extra virgin olive oil 1 tbsp
- blonde beer 200 ml (almost 1 cup)
- Fine salt 10 gr (almost 2 tsp)
Beer batter is the perfect preparation for frying vegetables. It's a smooth and light mixture, without eggs, yeast or baking soda, which will make you prepare crispy, light and golden fried foods, as well as dry. For this recipe you need only flour, very cold beer (better a blond one), extra virgin olive oil (or seeds oil) and fine salt. In a few minutes you can make a batter with a delicate flavor. In fact, you will not feel the beer taste during cooking. In addition to the vegetables, you can also use the beer batter for fish, it is in fact excellent for frying cod or shellfish. So let’s see how to make beer batter in no time.
How to make Beer Batter
Pour the sifted flour in a bowl. Pour in also the very cold beer, stirring with a hand whisk or with an electric mixer, until the mixture is smooth and without lumps. Now add the extra virgin olive oil (or the seeds oil) and fine salt and continue mixing until you get a smooth and homogeneous batter.
You can use the beer batter right away, or store it in the refrigerator before making your fried vegetables or fish.
– A secret to make the batter even lighter and getting super crunchy fried food is to add lemon juice; for our recipe you just need to add two teaspoons.
– If you store the beer batter in the refrigerator, mix it again before use. It will be perfect for your frying.
– The amount of beer in the recipe is approximate, as it depends on how thick you want your batter to be. This also depends on the frying that you will have to make: for the vegetables a thick batter is better, so as to wrap them better. On the other hand, if the beer batter is too thick for your preparation, then add another spoonful of beer.
– For the beer batter, you can replace the extra virgin olive oil with seeds oil. If you don't have beer at home, you can instead replace it with sparkling water, always very cold.
– A very fast method of preparation is the batter in the bottle, just choose a bottle with a wide cap. Then put all the ingredients in it, close it with the cap and beat quickly. Then pour the contents into a bowl and dip your vegetables before frying.
– Beer batter is great to fry zucchini flowers, but it is also perfect for other types of vegetables such as eggplants or normal zucchini. You can then also use it to fry cod or chicken.
How to store Beer Batter
You can store the beer batter in the refrigerator for a couple of days covered with cling film.