- Unsalted butter 4 tablespoons
- Boneless skinless chicken breast 1 lb.
- Sliced carrots 1 cup
- Sliced celery 1/2 cup
- Chopped yellow onion 1/2 cup
- Salt 1 1/4 teaspoons • 1 kcal
- Garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Dried thyme leaves 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground black pepper 1/4 teaspoon
- All-purpose flour 1/4 cup
- Heavy Cream 1/2 cup
- Chicken broth 1 cup
- Frozen peas 1/2 cup
- Minced fresh parsley 2 tablespoons
- Unbaked pie crusts 2 (1 top and 1 bottom)
The Best Chicken Pot Pie recipe is here: tender chicken breasts, carrots, celery and a creamy broth inside flaky pie crusts.
This easy chicken pot pie recipe is thick and studded with bright and flavorful vegetables, seasoned with classic dried herbs like thyme, and packed with bites of juicy chicken.
Prepare the homemade chicken pot pie by sautéing the filling first in a large skillet. Thicken it up with a roux of flour before coating the chicken and vegetables in a silky chicken broth sauce. Transfer the filling to your prepared bottom pie crust in a baking dish, secure with a second flaky crust on top for good measure, and bake until golden brown on top.
How to make Chicken Pot Pie
Here is the simple step-by-step process to make easy chicken pot pie:
First, melt a pat of butter in a large skillet.
Stir in the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, salt, garlic powder, dried thyme and black pepper.
Cook this mixture, stirring, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
Stir in all-purpose flour and stir to coat.
Add in cream, the chicken broth
Cook the mixture until the broth is bubbling and thick.
Meanwhile, line a pie plate with the bottom pie crust.
Fill with the cooled chicken pot pie filling.
Top the dish with your top crust and crimp the edges to close.
Poke a few vents in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
Bake the pie until crisp and golden brown on top. Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
How Long to Cook the Filling
The chicken pot pie filling takes about 20 minutes to cook. Up to 10 minutes to saute the chicken and veggies, then another 10 or so minutes to develop the flavors and thicken up when you add flour, cream and broth.
How Long to Bake Chicken Pot Pie
Bake this easy chicken pot pie for 30 minutes, until golden brown on top.
What to serve with Chicken Pot Pie
This is such a classic comfort food recipe. Pair it with something bright, fresh and green to complement the rich, heartiness of the dish. A fresh salad, sauteed green beans or roasted vegetables are all excellent side dish options.
How to Reheat Chicken Pot Pie
You can easily reheat leftovers in a 350°F oven for 10 or so minutes, until heated through.
Can you freeze chicken pot pie?
Yes, you can freeze the fully assembled chicken pot pie before baking. Make sure the filling is completely cool before you add it to the crust. Then assemble the pie, cut the vents and cover the entire dish with several layers of plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing. It will last for up to three months in the freezer. When you’re ready to bake, add 15 to 20 minutes to the baking time.
How to thicken chicken pot pie filling
The best chicken pot pie filling is thickened with all-purpose flour. In this recipe, all you need to do is sprinkle the veggies and chicken with a bit of flour in the skillet. Then when you add in cream and chicken broth, the flour absorbs much of the liquid, resulting in a thick, flavorful coating.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, salt, garlic powder, thyme leaves, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the flour until no dry flour remains.
- Slowly stir in the cream, then the chicken broth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the filling from the heat. Stir in the frozen peas and parsley.
- Let the filling cool for 15-30 minutes before filling the pie.Fit one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Spoon the cooled filling into the pie crust.
- Top with the second pie crust. Seal the edges of the pie crust together.
- Cut 3-4 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.Place the filled pie plate on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Cool for 15 to 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
It’s important to let the filling cool well before assembling the pie, to avoid a soggy bottom crust.
Cooling before serving also ensures that your filling thickens up well.