- Eggs 14, divided • 130 kcal
- Sugar 350 grams, divided • 470 kcal
- Flour 450 grams, divided
- Baking powder 4 tsp, divided • 156 kcal
- Food colors of choice 4
- Whipped cream
- Powdered sugar
This Polka Dot cake is perfect for your next birthday celebration. With adorable colored polka dots and a light and sweet spongey texture, this cake is fun for all ages and as tasty as it is cute!
The result of this recipe is an incredibly moist, dense layer cake dotted with colorful cake polka dots. Layer each cake with fluffy whipped cream (bonus if its homemade!) for a festive, bright and tasty birthday cake.
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this extravagant cake:
- Eggs. 14 in total, ensure this cake is super moist and also light and fluffy.
- Granulated sugar, which adds the necessary sweetness to your birthday cake.
- All-purpose flour, to make the bulk of the cake batter.
- Baking powder, which lightens and leavens the cake as it bakesWhipped cream for decoration
- Food coloring to add the charming colored polka dots to your cake. Choose four or more, depending on how colorful you like your cake.
- Decorations of your choice, including fresh berries, chocolate shavings, chopped nuts, sprinkles, etc.
Equipment for Polka Dot Cake
You don’t need much special equipment to perfect this cake. Here’s what to get out before you start baking:
- An electric mixer with the whisk attachment. You can also use a regular wire whisk and some elbow grease to make the batter.
- A mixing bowl.
- A mini cupcake tin. Use paper or silicone liners if your muffins or cupcakes tend to stick in your tin.
- Three springform pans to bake the cakes.
How to make a polka dot cake
To make this birthday cake, start by making four colored batters for the polka dots.
How to create polka dots
In a mixing bowl combine eggs and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
Add flour and baking powder. Then divide the batter evenly between four smaller bowls. Add food coloring to each bowl and stir to combine.
Divide the colored batter between a mini cupcake tin. And bake for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
Meanwhile, beat the remaining eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the remaining flour and baking powder. Divide half of the batter evenly between three springform cake pans. Place the cooked colored polka dot cupcakes into the cake batter. Cover with the remaining cake batter and bake for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
Let the cakes cool completely, then remove from the pans and place on a work surface. Cover one cake with whipped cream, place a second cake on top, and repeat to layer the cakes with whipped cream. Cover the sides with whipped cream too and dust with powdered sugar.
Decorate with fresh fruit or other toppings if you like.
Slice and enjoy!
Why this recipe works
This recipe works because it uses a simple, but moist and springy cake batter and delightfully light and fluffy whipped cream to create a stunning, easy, and delicious birthday cake.
What makes a birthday cake moist
A few things keep this cake moist. First, creaming the sugar and eggs together with an electric mixer at the beginning. Second, cooking in a warm (not too hot) oven helps keep the cake from drying out. And third, covering the cake with whipped cream adds more moisture and flavor, not to mention charm, to this birthday cake.
- To ensure your cake stays nice and moist, cream the eggs and sugar together very well when making the cake and cupcake batters. The sugar will absorb moisture from the eggs, which lightens the cake batter and keeps the interior of the cake dense and creamy after baking.
- For best results, use three springform pans to bake the cakes. This makes it easier to remove the cake from their pans without damaging the shape.
- Be sure to let the cake cool fully before removing it from the pan and frosting with whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 180°C ( 356°F ).In a bowl, beat 6 eggs with 150 grams of sugar.
- Add in 200 grams of flour with 2 tsp of baking powder.
- Divide the batter into 4 smaller bowls and add colorings for your choice.
- Pour the colored cake batter into a cupcake.Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180 ‘ C ( 356 ‘ F ).
- In another bowl, repeat beating with the rest of ingredients.
- Divide the mixture into the 3 baking pan laying inside colorful balls.Bake for 15-20 minutes.S
- Spread the whipped between the cake layers and all over the cake.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Decorate with fruits.