- roughly chopped pecans 2/3 cup
- old-fashioned oats 2 cups
- Ground cinnamon 2 tsp
- Baking powder 1 tsp • 156 kcal
- table salt 1/2 tsp
- Ground nutmeg 1/4 tsp
- Milk 1 ¾ cups • 49 kcal
- Maple syrup 1/3 cup
- Large eggs 2
- butter, melted 3 tbsp
- Vanilla Extract 2 tsp
- fresh or frozen blueberries, divided 12 ounces
For a hearty, healthy, and protein-packed breakfast you'll adore, it's time you try blueberry baked oatmeal. This simple recipe is full of good-for-you ingredients like heart-healthy blueberries, nuts, oats, and spices. It's a perfect make-ahead recipe that you can quickly zap in the microwave before starting your day. You don't need any special equipment for this tasty breakfast – just a baking dish and a few mixing bowls. Blueberry baked oatmeal is as delicious and flavorful as it is healthy, and there are endless ways to tailor it to your tastes.
How to Make Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
Preheat your oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a baking dish with cooking spray. Place nuts into oven and toast until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
Mix oats, nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and half the melted butter to combine.
Set aside ½ cup of blueberries. Place the rest over the bottom of the baking dish.
Pour the oat mixture over the berries.
Pour the milk mixture over the oats.
Gently shake the tray so the milk seeps through the oats. Garnish with the remaining blueberries.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the oatmeal turns golden brown. Let the baked oatmeal cool, and add a dash of the leftover melted butter immediately before serving.
Tips for Making Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
– If you have a nut allergy or aren't keen on nuts in general, leave them out and add seeds instead. Chia, flax, and pumpkin seeds are all tasty, nutritious options.
– Whole old-fashioned oats aka rolled oats are the best type of oat for baked oatmeal.
Amazing Baked Oatmeal Variations
– Swap blueberries for other fruits. Strawberries, sliced banana, diced apple or pear, or even dried fruit are all incredible in this recipe.
– Add some lemon or orange zest to bring a little brightness to this nourishing breakfast.
– You can make this dish even more protein-dense by adding a dollop of nut butter to it.
– Have a sweet tooth? Sprinkle in some chocolate chips and enjoy this baked oatmeal as a snack.
– Add almonds for extra flavor and crunch.
How to Store Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
– Baked oatmeal lasts 3 to 4 days in the fridge. Just pop it in an airtight container and enjoy warm or straight out of the fridge.
– You can freeze baked oatmeal for up to 1 month. Let it cool completely, cover it (you can cut it into individual portion sizes first to save space), then put it in the freezer. Reheat in the microwave for about 60 seconds, or until heated through.