- Large eggs 4
- Sour cream 2/3 cup
- butter, melted 1/2 cup
- Almond flour 3 cups
- Baking powder 2 tbsp • 156 kcal
- Salt 1/2 tsp • 1 kcal
- turkey sausage, cooked and drained 1 pound
- cheddar cheese, grated 1 cup
- fresh chives, chopped 1/4 cup
- For the garlic butter
- Butter 2 tbsp • 717 kcal
- Garlic powder 1/2 tsp
For an effortless way to start your day, nothing beats a hearty homemade breakfast biscuit. Packed with tasty, protein, and nutrient-rich ingredients, they're full of flavor and will keep you full for hours. Breakfast biscuits are buttery, savory, with a soft interior and flaky crust. They're a perfect make-ahead recipe if you find yourself with little extra time in the morning to cook up breakfast. They're also fantastic as a grab-and-go meal you can enjoy on your commute to work or popped into a packed lunch. Made with turkey sausage, low-carb almond flour, cheese, and other delicious ingredients, breakfast biscuits are an amazing breakfast for busy mornings.
Homemade Breakfast Biscuit Ingredients
These hearty breakfast biscuits are packed with protein thanks to ingredients like eggs, turkey sausage, and cheddar cheese. Made with almond flour, they're low-carb, while also being soft and moist thanks to sour cream. The savory cheese and sausage flavor is enhanced by the addition of fresh chopped chives and garlic powder, making them a tasty, wholesome way to start your day.
Tips for Making the Best Homemade Biscuits
– Don't overmix the dough. If you do, the biscuits will be denser and less tender.
– Put your own spin on this recipe by adding other fresh herbs like rosemary or basil, or sprinkle in a dash of paprika over the dough.
– Use finely ground almond flour – this will give you the best texture.
– Use a tablespoon or ice cream scooper to scoop the dough onto the baking tray.
– Start checking the biscuits after 10 minutes so you don't overbake them.
Breakfast Biscuit Variations to Try
– While turkey sausage is one of the healthier options available, you can easily use chicken, pork, or beef sausage instead, or a tofu-based alternative.
– If you don't have sour cream, you can use buttermilk instead. Using buttermilk in this recipe will make your biscuits soft, tender, and moist.
– For vegans and vegetarians, you can substitute the turkey sausage for your favorite meat-free alternative. Instead of sour cream, use a dairy-free alternative, and margarine or coconut oil instead of butter.
– These delicious low-carb breakfast biscuits are great for people on the keto diet. You can make them even more keto-friendly by adding more protein like turkey bacon, to the recipe.
How to Store and Freeze Breakfast Biscuits
Whether you make them ahead or have leftovers, you can store your breakfast biscuits in an airtight container or freezer-proof bag in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. For long-term storage, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
How to Make Breakfast Biscuits
Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Beat eggs, sour cream, and butter in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
Pour the almond flour mixture into the egg mixture, whisk to combine.
Fold in the cheese.
Add the chives.
Fold in the turkey sausage.
Portion out the dough onto the baking tray.
Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
To make the garlic butter, beat the butter and garlic powder in a small bowl.
Remove the biscuits from the oven and brush with the garlic butter. Let the biscuits cool slightly before serving.
Grate the cheese yourself for a more even melt and better flavor.
If you like a stronger garlic flavor, add more garlic powder.