- Extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp
- yellow onion, sliced 1
- leeks, sliced, white part only 2
- large head cauliflower, cut into small florets 1
- Chicken stock 4 cups
- Dried thyme 1 tsp
- roasted garlic 4 cloves
- lemon, squeezed 1
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
There's nothing like a hearty, comforting soup, especially when the weather begins to get chilly. This mouthwatering cauliflower leek soup is both simple to make and healthy, packed with nutritious vegetables and made entirely without dairy. It's a paleo and keto-friendly soup that can easily be made vegan with a few tweaks. Its rich, creamy texture comes from the tender cauliflower florets and it's hearty enough to be eaten as a filling appetizer or side, or as a light main meal. Serve it with plenty of crusty bread or dinner rolls – creamy cauliflower leek soup is so delicious you'll definitely want something to mop it up with!
Tips for Making the Best Creamy Cauliflower Leek Soup
– To make a delicious vegan creamy cauliflower leek soup, just use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
– Garnish your soup with croutons, sliced scallions, pancetta, crumbled bacon, cheese, or a sprinkling of fresh chopped herbs.
– If you don't care for garlic, you can always leave the roasted garlic out of this recipe. On the flip side, if you can't get enough garlic feel free to add more!
– If your soup has turned out thicker than you'd like, add a little extra stock to thin it out.
– If your soup isn't thick enough, you can add a 1:1 ratio of cornstarch and water. About a tablespoon of each should do.
– For extra creaminess, you can add a little coconut milk (or regular milk if you're not vegan).
– You can also make this wonderful soup in your Slow cooker or Instant Pot. In a slow cooker, cook it on High for 3 to 4 hours or on Low for 6 to 8 hours. If you're using an Instant Pot, saute the vegetables, add the stock, then cover, seal and cook for 5 minutes on manual. Then release the pressure, add the garlic, and blend the soup. Stir in the lemon juice, season, garnish and serve.
How to Store Cauliflower Leek Soup
Store leftover cauliflower leek soup in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy it within 4 days. If you want to store it for longer, you can freeze it in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag (be sure to double bag it) for up to 6 months.
How to Make Creamy Cauliflower Leek Soup
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions and leeks until they begin to turn golden brown.
Add the cauliflower and saute until it starts to brown. Pour in the stock and thyme. Bring the broth to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the cauliflower becomes tender, about 15 minutes.
Add in the garlic and lemon juice. Blend the soup until smooth using an immersion blender.
Add salt and pepper. Taste the soup and adjust seasoning as needed. Garnish with desired toppings and serve.
If you're cooking cauliflower leek soup in a slow cooker or Instant Pot, wait until after you've blended the soup before you add in the lemon juice.