- Medium cauliflower 1
- Eggs 2 • 130 kcal
- Flour 1/2 cup
- Breadcrumbs (or gluten free options) 1/2 cup
- Crushed cornflakes 1/2 cup
- Onion 1
- Grated cheese 1 cup
- Parsley 1 tbsp
- salt to taste
- caraway seeds
- Ground pepper
Cauliflower meatballs are a vegetarian and delicious recipe for a meatless alternative. Because they are easy to make, it’s a great side for midweek dinners. You can also enjoy them for brunch or lunch with a light side salad. Cauliflower is a powerhouse vegetable. It’s packed with nutrients, low in carbohydrates and even contains plant compounds said to be protective against heart disease and some cancers. Even more reasons to regularly eat cauliflower!
These cauliflower meatballs are quick and easy to make. You simply add all the ingredients to a bowl, mix through, for patties, and voila! To make the ball forming easier, you can rub your hands with oil. This will prevent the batter from sticking to your hands.
How to make Cauliflower Meatballs
If you want to make these cauliflower meatballs a little healthier, you can bake them in the oven or use the Airfryer:
- Oven: place the cauliflower meatballs or patties on a parchment-lined baking tray, spray with cooking oil, and bake for 30 minutes at 400°F/200°C.
- Air-Fryer: Place the cauliflower meatballs or patties in an air-fryer basket, spray with cooking oil, and air-fry at 350°F/180°C for 15 minutes.
Use a sharp knife to remove the core from the cauliflower.
Break the cauliflower into large florets.
Place the cauliflower florets in a small saucepan and cover with water and a teaspoon of salt.
Cook until tender.
Drain the cooked cauliflower and mash in a glass bowl.
Add the mashed cauliflower to a sieve, and use a spoon to drain excess liquid.
Add the cauliflower puree and two eggs to a small bowl.
Add the flour.
Add in the breadcrumbs, crushed cornflakes, and onion.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
Use your hands to form small patties or balls.
Heat enough oil in a frying pan for shallow frying. Carefully add the patties to the oil. Fry for a few minutes.
Turn the patties and fry until golden brown. Drain on towel paper.
– Serve these cauliflower meatballs with your favorite dipping sauce. Tzatziki, sweet chili sauce, or ranch dressing all work well.
– For a full meal, add warmed marinara sauce and serve with spaghetti.
– To freeze, simply place the cooked and cooled cauliflower meatballs in an airtight Ziploc bag. And freeze for up to three months. You can also freeze uncooked cauliflower meatballs.
– Any cheese will work with this recipe: mozzarella, cheddar cheese, or gouda. Add grated parmesan to the batter for extra flavor.
– For a gluten free option, you can use almond flour instead of breadcrumbs.
– Make sure you squeeze out all the liquid from the cooked cauliflower. If you skip this step, the batter won’t hold and the cauliflower meatball will break apart.