- Feta cheese 1/2 cup
- Grated gouda cheese 1 cup
- Cheddar Cheese 1 cup
- Egg 1 + 1 white egg • 130 kcal
- Flour 1/8 cup
- Milk 2 tbsp • 49 kcal
- Pepper 1/4 tsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp • 1 kcal
- Flour 1/8 cup
- Vegetable oil for frying 2 cups
This perfect little appetizer or snack is filled with three types of cheese making layers of delicious flavors which melt in your mouth. This specific recipe for cheese balls comes from a Greek background and are also called Tirokroketes. They are a very common appetizer in Greek pubs and we can see why- they are irresistible! So forget about mozzarella sticks or regular French fries, give this cheese ball recipe a try and you will not be disappointed!
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the grated cheeses, feta, egg, egg white, 1/8 cup flour, milk, pepper and salt.
- Stir until well combined, mashing the cheese together with the other ingredients well.
- Roll the cheese dough into small, bite sized balls that are similar in size. If you want the cheese balls to be exactly the same size, scoop them with an ice cream scoop and then roll the pre portioned balls with your hands.
- Place the remaining 1/8 cup flour in a small dish and get another clean plate to set up your dipping station. Roll the cheese balls in the flour and place on the clean plate.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan or use a deep fryer if you have it. Add the cheese balls 3-4 at a time- you do not want to over crowd them!
- Remove from the oil once the outside begins to brown lightly. Drain on a paper towel and serve while hot!
-If you'd like to make the cheese balls ahead of time, you can prepare the centers and roll the balls and place them in the fridge. Do not dredge in the flour and fry until you are ready to serve!