- Ricotta cheese 50 gr, roughly grated • 140 kcal
- Parmesan cheese 1 tbsp, grated
- Feta cheese 2 tbsps, roughly crumbled
- Egg 1 yolk, and white separated • 130 kcal
- Corn starch 1 tsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp • 1 kcal
- Black pepper powder 1/4 tsp
- Flour 2 tbsps
- Puff pastry dough 150 gr
- Sesame seeds 1/2 tsp
Cheese bourekas is such an easy to prepare and versatile snack preparation that you may serve with any sauce or dip of your choice.
I prefer to prepare my bourekas without the cumbersome flakes as cleaning up is a big task after we all have enjoyed a delightful batch of piping hot cheesy triangles. So, I roll my dough a bit hard with a bit more force to settle the flaky layers of the puff pastry dough.
This way you may happily serve the bourekas as a non-messy cocktail snack that your guests may enjoy without worrying about the flakes spoiling their fine clothes!
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a baking tray with butter paper or aluminum foil.
- In a bowl add the ricotta cheese, parmesan, feta cheese, yolk of the egg, corn starch, salt and black pepper powder.
- Mix all the ingredients well until nicely combined.
- On a clean flat surface dust half of the flour lightly and then roll the pastry dough in to a ¼ inch thick rectangle.
- You may use the remaining flour to roll out the pastry dough but do not over dust the flour and try to use the least amount of flour possible.
- Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter cut the rolled pastry dough in to even size squares of 3 inch width.
- Now, put 1 teaspoon or less of the cheese filling at the center of each dough square and then fold the dough diagonally in to triangle shapes.
- Pinch the folded or the joining edges of the pizza dough slightly to seal the bourekas at one end.
- Place the bourekas very carefully on the prepared baking tray at a distance of 2 inches.
- Brush the top of bourekas with egg white and evenly sprinkle the sesame seeds over all the dough triangles.
- Bake the cheese triangles at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes or until the top turns golden brown in color.
- Serve hot or at room temperature and enjoy!
Lightly grease the aluminum foil with ½ teaspoon of vegetable oil, if using to line the baking tray. You may choose to roll the puff pastry dough with light hands without pressing the dough too hard to get a flaky texture and appearance of the final product. But if you do not enjoy flaky bourekas then you may roll the dough by pressing it too hard and with a firm hand to get a crisp texture but a non-flaky appearance. Crack open the egg very carefully so that no piece of shell is present and the yolk remains intact.
Nutritional information (per serving): 100 Calories, 6g Total fat (2.9g Saturated fat, 0.2g Polyunsaturated fat, 0.6g Monounsaturated fat), 28.5mg Cholesterol, 198.5mg Sodium, 21.4mg Potassium, 8.4g Total carbohydrates (0.1g Dietary fiber, 0.2g Sugars), 3.5g Protein