- Chicken fillet 250 g (0.5 pounds)
- Cabbage 400 g (0.9 pounds)
- Egg 1 • 130 kcal
- Hard Cheese 75 g (2.6 ounces)
- Tomatoes 2
- Salt 7 g (1 ¼ tsp) • 1 kcal
- ground garlic
- Black pepper
We love to spend time in the kitchen, but sometimes you just need a healthy recipe that’s easy to make, so that dinner will be ready in no time. And this Chicken Cabbage Casserole is exactly that. Not only is it low-carb, it’s a great way to use up leftovers (either chicken or cabbage). It’s a simple dish, but it definitely doesn’t lack in flavor. You can serve this as a main dish (with a green salad) or as a meaty side. It’s also easy to modify it, feel free to add other veggies and spices—this Low Carb Chicken Casserole is a great way to use up leftovers! And guess what? It’s healthy too! Combine chicken, cabbage, eggs and tomatoes to make the best dish ever!
Is Chicken Cabbage Casserole healthy?
This dish is very hearty, but at the same time it’s healthy too. If you’re looking for a comfort food that will satisfy your hunger, this Chicken Cabbage Casserole is a good idea. If you serve it as a hearty main on its own, it qualifies as a low-carb dish. Perfect for those who are watching their calories.
Can I use Chicken Leftovers?
If you’re using cooked chicken leftovers, you need to adjust the cooking time slightly. Instead of slicing the cabbage into thick slices, rather shred them finely, so that they cook faster. If you keep the cabbage size and cooking time the same, the chicken will overcook and become dry.
– This recipe is great for using up leftovers. Use chicken leftovers, or any other cooked vegetables. If you want to use other raw veggies, shred them with a grater or a food processor to ensure even cooking.
– There are a few ways you can make this Low Carb Chicken Cabbage Casserole more flavorful. Cook without lid to evaporate liquids and sauté the cabbage with onion before adding it to the baking pan. Add cheddar cheese, cream cheese, or even cottage cheese for a bit of creaminess. Of course, if you’re feeling extravagant, you can add some chopped, cooked bacon too!
How to store Low Carb Chicken Cabbage Casserole
This recipe will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
How to make Chicken Cabbage Casserole
Take cabbage and start cutting it.
Cut the cabbage in thick slices.
Place the cabbage slices in the bottom of a baking tin.
In a small bowl, mix together the egg with spices and salt.
Now start cutting the chicken.
Cut chicken fillet into thin slices.
Add the chicken to the egg marinade.
Let it rest for few minutes.
Pour a bit of the marinade immediately onto the cabbage.
Spread chicken slices on top greased with egg and spices.
Cut the tomatoes into thin slices and spread on top of the chicken fillet.
Bake for 20 minutes at 180°C/350°F.
Sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for 10 minutes.