- For the biscuits
- Flour 1 1/2 cups
- Salt 1 1/2 tsps • 1 kcal
- Sugar 1 tbsp • 470 kcal
- Baking powder 1 tbsp • 156 kcal
- Milk 2/3 cup • 49 kcal
- Vegetable shortening 1/3 cup
- For the sausage gravy
- Pork sausage 250 gr
- Butter 2 tbsps • 717 kcal
- Cornstarch 1/4 cup • 338 kcal
- Milk 1 1/2 cups • 49 kcal
- White pepper to taste
The country sausage gravy is a traditional dish from the south of the US, usually served as breakfast. It consists of some soft dough buns, known as "biscuits", served with a special gravy called "country" or "white gravy" that is prepared based on small pieces of pork, or as in our case, based on sausages.
This recipe is so simple that you can prepare them at home quite easily.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C (425 F)
- Mix together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl, make a hole in the center of these ingredients and put the milk, add butter and mix everything to make a homogeneous mass, add more milk if you see that this very dry and mix again.
- Put this dough on a board or floured surface and knead gently 6 to 8 times; the dough should be about 3 centimeters thick. Separate the mixture in 4 equal portions and form balls, place on a baking sheet with a silicone blanket or waxed paper.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Slicing the sausages and then putting them in the food processor, should look like ground beef.
- In a very hot frying pan brown the sausages, stir gently until they are all golden brown. Remove from heat and reserve.
- To prepare the sauce, mix in the blender, melted butter, milk and cornstarch; then cook over low heat without stirring until it thickens.
- When the sauce is thick, add the sausages again and stir. Open the biscuit in two parts and cover with the sauce.
Nutrition Facts Servings: 8 Amount per serving Calories 696 % Daily Value* Total Fat 36.1g 46% Saturated Fat 16.7g 83% Cholesterol 96mg 32% Sodium 1054mg 46% Total Carbohydrate 61.4g 22% Dietary Fiber 0.7g 3% Total Sugars 35.9g Protein 33.5g