- Diced bacon 300 gr
- Flour 40 gr
- Salt 1 tsp • 1 kcal
- Chicken stock 350 ml
- Milk 500 ml • 49 kcal
- Little Potatoes 675 gr, quartered
- shredded cheddar cheese 200 gr, plus extra for garnish
- Green onions 2, sliced, plus extra for garnish
- Sour cream 50 gr
This creamy Potato Bacon Soup is cheesy, delicious, and easy to make with hearty potatoes and smoky bacon.
Make this hearty soup to warm up on a chilly night. Topped with crisp bacon, tangy sour cream, and fresh scallions, this creamy and silky-smooth soup has every texture and flavor you’re looking for.
To make this cheesy, creamy, and filling soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Diced bacon. Choose your favorite flavor or style of bacon. For example, maple bacon adds a nice touch of sweetness to this soup. Dice it to ¼-inch cubes for maximum crisp.
- Flour, which will help thicken this creamy soup to its perfect consistency.
- Chicken stock. Make your own stock for the best-tasting homemade soup. But if you can’t choose a high-quality low-sodium storebought chicken broth.
- Milk, which adds incredible creaminess to the soup. Choose whole milk for maximum creaminess.
- Small potatoes, the must-have ingredient for potato soup, of course!Shredded cheddar cheese, which adds savory, melty cheese flavor, and silky-smooth texture.
- Green onions for a pop of fresh green color and sharp flavor. They also add a nice garnish to your bowls.
- Sour cream, for an extra hit of tanginess on top of each bowl.
What potatoes are best for soup?
This recipe uses small white creamer potatoes. They aren’t too starchy or dry and have enough liquid to purée into creamy, light, and fluffy soup.
How to make potato bacon soup
First, start by crisping the bacon in a medium saucepan. Transfer the cooked bacon to a plate and pour out most of the bacon fat into a small bowl for later.
Return the bacon fat to the pot, along with the flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
Add the chicken stock and milk and cook until thickened. Season with salt.
Add the sliced small potatoes to the pot, cover, and cook over low heat for 25 minutes. When the potatoes are fork-tender, add the sliced scallions and shredded cheddar cheese to the soup.
Stir until melted, then serve with toppings of your choice!
Can you freeze potato bacon soup?
Yes, you can cool and freeze the soup in an airtight container for up to three months. To defrost, allow the soup to thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat on the stove.
- Be sure to reduce the heat as necessary when cooking the milk and potatoes to avoid scorching the milk.
- Stir in the shredded cheese a little at a time so it melts evenly.
- Be sure to cut the potatoes to roughly the same size so they cook evenly.
- Don’t forget to save the bacon fat for making the roux!
- Add the bacon to a pan and cook over medium heat until crispy.
- Remove bacon bits.
- Drain off the bacon fat.Return 60ml of bacon fat to the pan and then add the flour.
- Stir to combine then cook for a further 60 seconds.
- Add the Chicken stock, milk and salt and stir until thickened.
- Add the quartered potatoes, cover with a lid and then cook on a low simmer for 20/25mins or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Once the potatoes are tender and in the cheese and onions stir until melted.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle over the bacon pieces, some cheese and some more spring onions.