- marinated artichoke hearts 2 jars (16 ounces each)
- canola (rapeseed) oil 1 tablespoon
- Half an onion, finely chopped (optional)
- Garlic cloves 2 to 3, minced
- Eggs 8 large, lightly beaten • 130 kcal
- Mushrooms 1 can sliced, drained
- Cheddar Cheese 3 cups shredded mature
- cracker crumbs 1 cup butter-flavored
This is a great way to use tinned or jarred mushrooms and artichokes to make an unusual and tasty lunch or supper dish, or as a side.
Eggs, strong cheddar, and garlic go well with marinated artichokes and mushrooms, and it’s all cooked in the one dish, which saves on washing up too.
Drain the artichokes, reserving 1/4 cup marinade.
Set aside. Cut artichokes into slices* and set aside. In a small skillet, fry onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Remove from the heat.
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, artichokes, mushrooms, cheese, cracker crumbs, onion mixture and reserved marinade.
Transfer to a greased 13×9-in. baking dish.
Bake, uncovered, at 350F/160C/gas mark 4, for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
*You can buy pre-sliced artichokes in jars to make this recipe even quicker.
If you aren’t keen on cheddar, try using a different cheese instead.