- Olive oil 1.5 tbsp
- Red onion 1/2 peeled and finely chopped
- Garlic 3 cloves, peeled and finely grated
- Carrots 2, peeled and cubed
- Red tomato 1 large, cubed
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Paprika powder 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp • 1 kcal
- Vegetable broth 1 cup
- Capsicum 1 large, cored and cubed
- Head cabbage 1, cored and roughly chopped
Many of us struggle to add vegetables in our daily meal pattern and find it hard to prepare recipes that offer fresh taste and flavors. Ethiopian cabbage is one such preparation that can be enjoyed as a very nutritious side dish with amazing flavors!
With an amalgamation of many healthy vegetables, Ethiopian cabbage can be eaten by people who prefer highly nutritious food preparations that are prepared low in oil content, lactose free, vegan, and gluten free. In fact, it is a very simple preparation, which doesn’t even take long to get cooked. The majority of the time involved in preparing this vegetable is required to prepare, wash, and cut the various vegetables. You may also create a personalized version of this dish and chop in a few more seasonal vegetables of your choice!
You may also add a bit more of vegetable or chicken broth while preparing this amazing preparation and enjoy it as a soup in cold wintery days… and add up abundant antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins to your routine meal. So, wait no more and try out this absolutely delicious and easy to prepare vegan preparation that is loaded with the goodness of plenty of vegetables!
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame. Add onions and garlic in the hot oil and cook it for about 2 minutes or until light pink in color.
- Stir in carrots, potato, and tomatoes to the onions and cook the vegetables for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle cumin powder, paprika powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, and salt to the sautéed vegetables.
- Cook the vegetables and spices for about 3 minutes on low heat while stirring intermittently.
- Add vegetable broth to the sautéed vegetables and cook the vegetable mixture on simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add capsicum and cabbage to the vegetable mixture and stir all the vegetables well.
- Cover the cooking pan and cook vegetables on simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetable cooks. Make sure to keep stirring the vegetables intermittently while cooking.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Wash all the vegetables really well with clean water before cutting them for use.
You may season the vegetable preparation with salt and spices based on your taste preference.
Make sure you do not undercook the potatoes and over cook the cabbage. This may be avoided by making sure the potatoes are nearly half done by the time you add cabbage to the vegetables.
You may add more vegetable broth to make the Ethiopian cabbage preparation more watery and syrupy in consistency, in case you plan to serve it with a dry side dish.