- Chicken thighs cleaned, skin on 6
- Buttermilk 1 1/2 cup
- Salt 1 tsp • 1 kcal
- Pepper 1 tsp
- Paprika 1/2 tsp
- Flour 1 3/4 cup
- Vegetable Oil 3 cups
The best part about eating fried chicken is that crispy, golden, deep fried crust on the outside. This recipe will give you just that in a few simple steps! This chicken recipe will produce a perfectly crunchy crust every time with just a few ingredients. While this it may take a little bit of planning ahead to make this chicken perfectly, it is well worth it. Chicken thighs are used here but feel free to use chicken wings or drumsticks- any part of the chicken that has a bone will work just fine! Just remember, if you are making wings or drumsticks, the frying time may vary.
How to make Super Crispy Fried Chicken
- Place the chicken thighs in a medium sized bowl and cover with buttermilk. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes to allow the chicken to absorb some of the milk.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the salt, pepper, paprika and flour together.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dip directly into the flour mix, coating both sides.
- Set the chicken on a plate and allow to sit for another 30 minutes or until the flour no longer looks dry on the surface of the chicken. After sitting, all of the flour should be wet and caked onto the chicken thighs.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan until it reaches 390 ̊F or set your deep fry thermometer to 390 ̊F.
- Drop the chicken thighs into the hot oil and allow to brown on each side, about 5 minutes per side. Turn the heat down so that the oil is about 350 ̊F and continue to let the chicken fry for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and drain on a plate lined with paper towel. Serve immediately!
-If you want to make your chicken spicy, add a tablespoon of Tabasco to the buttermilk soak at the beginning of the recipe.
– If you are using drumsticks, allow the chicken to fry for a total of 20 minutes and, if using chicken wings, fry for a total of 15 minutes.