- Yellow onions 2 medium, thinly sliced into rings
- Butter 3 tablespoons • 717 kcal
- Beef broth 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- Skinless chicken breasts 4 boneless, pounded to an even thickness
- Oil 1 tablespoon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Italian blend herbs/Italian seasoning* 1 teaspoon
- Flour 2 tablespoons
- Provolone or mozzarella cheese 4 slices
- Swiss cheese (I used Jarlsberg) 4 slices
- Parmesan cheese 3/4 cup, grated
- Thyme or parsley and cracked black pepper Fresh for topping (optional)
If you love the tastes of traditional French cooking (and particularly French onion soup) then you will love this one-pot chicken dish that is bursting with flavor.
The pan-seared chicken breasts are smothered in caramelized onions and topped with three different types of melty cheese before being finished off in the oven – and the whole thing only takes around 30 minutes to make!
Preheat oven to bake at 400F/180C fan/gas mark 6, or broil on low.
In a large oven-safe skillet* over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions and 3 tablespoons beef broth and sauté onions for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
Continue to cook, stirring occasionally so the onions don't burn, for about 15 minutes longer until browned and very tender. Use tongs or a fork to transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
While onions are cooking, prepare the chicken by drizzling with oil, then seasoning with salt and pepper and the Italian herbs.
Once the onions have finished cooking and are removed from the pan, cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side (don't clean out the pan between the onions and chicken) until browned on both sides.
The chicken won’t be completely cooked through yet, but don’t worry, as it has to go in the oven next to finish cooking.
Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm and return the onions to the pan.
Sprinkle flour over the onions and stir for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add beef broth and continue to cook, stirring throughout, until mixture comes to a boil.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Return chicken to pan and spoon some of the sauce over each piece of chicken.
Top chicken with one slice of provolone each, then one slice of Swiss cheese, then 1/4 of the parmesan cheese.
Transfer skillet to your preheated oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through completely and cheeses are melted.
Spoon some of the onions and gravy over the top of the chicken, garnish with thyme or parsley and cracked black pepper, and serve with green vegetables and good French bread.
* If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can make your own with 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme and1/2 teaspoon dried oregano mixed together.
* If you don’t have a cast iron pan, any other oven-safe one will do. Alternatively, you can put all the ingredients into a casserole dish for the baking part of the recipe.
Always check the juices run clear and there is no pink flesh left inside the chicken breast before serving it. If there is, it needs a few more minutes in the oven.