- Stale buns 8
- Cheese slices
- Eggs 6 • 130 kcal
- Cream 200 ml/7 oz
This easy homemade garlic bread recipe goes way beyond your typical garlic bread. Stuff rolls with cheese and bacon before soaking them in a savory cream and egg mixture for a delicious, cheesy take on french toast. Top the rolls off with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and bake them until they’re golden, delicious, and full of soft, melty cheese.
How to Make Garlic Bread
First slice the top of 8 stale rolls to make four slits. Be careful not to cut all the way through the roll.
Stuff each slit in the rolls with slices of cheese and bacon.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, minced garlic, fresh minced parsley, and cream until totally smooth. Dunk each roll in the egg mixture, flipping with a pair of tongs to coat all sides.
Place the rolls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Use slightly stale rolls for the best results. They will soak up the egg mixture better for softer, more flavorful garlic bread rolls.
- You can substitute bacon with any other deli meat, such as prosciutto, ham, or turkey.
- You can also omit the bacon for a vegetarian option. feel free to use a different fresh herb, such as basil, rosemary, or thyme.
- You can also experiment with a mixture of herbs to suit your tastes. To add a bit of spice to your homemade garlic bread, sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes into the egg mixture before soaking your bread rolls.
- Use any of your favorite sliced cheese, such as cheddar, Swiss, provolone, or mozzarella.
How to reheat garlic bread
You can reheat leftover garlic bread by placing int under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Keep a close eye on the bread, as all broilers differ. You can also pop it into a toaster oven if you have one.
What goes with garlic bread?
Garlic bread is a classic side dish with Italian dinners like spaghetti and meatballs and other pasta dishes. It’s also a lovely side dish for soups and stews.
How to store garlic bread
Store garlic bread in an airtight container or zip-top bag at room temperature for up to two days. For longer storage, keep the bread in the freezer for up to three months. You can defrost the bread in a warm oven directly from frozen, though it might dry out a bit and be better toasted like a crouton after freezing.
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C / 350 ° F.
- Slice the tops of the buns in thirds, not going all the way through.
- Put cheese and bacon inside the cuts.Beat the eggs with cream in a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped parsley and garlic. Mix well.
- Dip each bun in a garlic mix. Put on a baking sheet and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180 ° C / 350 ° F.