Read on to know about 4 serious health risks that are associated with consuming dead mussels.

Mussels are a type of shellfish that are rich in proteins, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin B12. Mussels are enjoyed by many seafood lovers as an appetizer or entrée in raw, boiled, fried, or steamed form.

To ensure use or consumption of fresh mussels, you should throw away the mussels which either do not open during cooking, or have a cracked or chipped shell as they may be dead. Consuming dead mussels is really very harmful to our health as it increases the risk of food poisoning and infection because of the growth of microorganisms in it. Here are 4 serious health risks that are associated with eating dead mussels.

Heavy metal contamination. Dead mussels that have been contaminated with heavy metals such as lead, mercury, or cadmium may increase the risk of birth defects and neurological damage.

Chemical poisoning. Dead mussels that were harvested in the contaminated water increases the risk of chemical poisoning and infection. This contaminated water source may contain a really high level of chlorine, ammonia, and copper, which may severely impact our health.

Adenovirus infection. Dead mussels that contain adenovirus may increase the risk of bladder, gastrointestinal, and respiratory infections. These infections may lead to rash, diarrhea, and pneumonia in an otherwise healthy individual.

Parasites. Some shellfish, including mussels, may be infected with Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts, which can infect the gastrointestinal tract.