- vanilla mixture
- Milk 500 ml (2 cups) • 49 kcal
- Sugar 25 g (2 tbsp) • 470 kcal
- Corn starch 60 g (3 tbsp)
- Vanilla 15 g (1 tbsp)
- White chocolate 100 g (1 cup)
- Greek Yogurt 100 g (1/2 cup)
- chocolate 300 g (3 cups)
- chopped almonds
Summer is a time for ice cream. And we love all kinds of ice cream…sorbets, gelato, sherbet…but most of all, we love chocolate ice creams. If you’re an ice cream lover, you probably know Magnum Ice Creams…not only are they delicious, they’re also expensive. This is why we created an easy (and cheaper) Homemade Magnum Ice Cream recipe. Instead of heavy cream (often used in ice cream recipes), you only need a handful of non-expensive ingredients: milk, sugar, corn starch, vanilla, chocolate, Greek yogurt, and almonds. You can even customize it as you want, and make your own flavors! These Homemade Magnum Ice Creams are smooth, creamy, and delicious!
Magnum Ice Cream Ingredients
This ice cream recipe makes use of a secret ingredient: corn starch. Unlike other ice cream recipes that make use of eggs for smoothness, cornstarch serves as a stabilizer. When the ice cream freezes, it stabilizes the water molecules and prevents the ice cream from becoming icy.
The sugar not only adds sweetness but also improves the texture of the ice cream. It influences ice crystal formation, leading to small ice crystal formation (i.e., smoothness), instead of large crystals (i.e., iciness).
The Greek yogurt, chocolate, and vanilla all provide flavor to the ice cream, so that the ice cream is not bland at all.
– For a vegan ice cream base, blend together 1 cup coconut cream (not milk), 2 ripe bananas, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until creamy. Freeze overnight until solid and proceed with the recipe, using vegan chocolate as a coating.
– For a vegan caramel filling, blend together 1 cup soft Medjool dates, 2 tablespoons almond butter, 1 tablespoon water. Spread over the frozen ice cream before coating it in chocolate.
– Make vegan chocolate coating by melting ½ cup coconut oil, ½ cup cacao powder, 1 tablespoon liquid sweetener (like agave or maple syrup), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ tsp salt.
– To make a “Magnum dark”, add 2 tablespoons cocoa powder to the ice cream mixture and dip in dark chocolate.
– For “Magnum mint”, use a dark chocolate coating, and add mint extract to the ice cream base.
– For a “Magnum mochaccino”, add 1 shot of espresso to the ice cream base.
How to store Homemade Magnum Ice Cream
These Homemade Magnum Ice Creams can conveniently be stored in the freezer and taken out as you want to enjoy them. Store in the freezer for about 3 months.
How to make Homemade Magnum Ice Cream
For the vanilla mixture: In a pot add milk, corn starch, vanilla, sugar and mix.
Cook until it thickens and then add white chocolate.
Mix and add Greek yogurt.
Mix it and pour into container.
Cut the holes and insert the sticks. Cover with foil and leave it in the freezer overnight.
For the topping: Melt the chocolate and add chopped almonds.
Cut the container between the sticks.
Remove the ice creams from the container.
Dip the ice creams into chocolate. Serve and enjoy.
If you have popsicle ice cream molds, you can use these too instead of a milk carton!