Turmeric is native to South Asia, and the rhizomes are harvested, dried and pounded to a yellow-gold colored powder. Turmeric is often used as a spice in foods, and also as a natural dye for clothes.
It may seem counter-intuitive to use a spice that dyes things yellow to whiten skin, but it works. Follow the steps below to make a turmeric paste for skin whitening:
1. Get turmeric paste and some fresh limes.
2. Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder with three tablespoons of lime juice to form a thick paste. Apply to the areas you want to lighten, and wash off after 15 minutes with water. Don’t use soap, as this will stop the paste from working. You can use this paste daily until your skin reaches the desired shade.
Mix Turmeric with Natural Oils
If you mix turmeric with oils such as olive, coconut, almond and castor, the turmeric will penetrate deeper into your skin. You can leave this mixture on overnight safely. Mix some turmeric powder with lime juice, and some oil until you get the consistency the way you want. Apply, and leave on overnight if you wish, although be aware that the turmeric mask will stain bedcovers and any fabric that comes in contact with it. Cover your bed with old bed sheets or towels to protect it.
Fascinating Turmeric Facts
Turmeric has been used for thousands of years as a natural remedy and health booster, but how much do you actually know about it and the health benefits associated with it?
1. India is the world’s biggest producer of turmeric. The Indian area of Tamil Nadu has a city called Erode, which is the largest area of turmeric manufacture in the country.
2. Turmeric contains a substance called curcumin, which is a potent anti-inflammatory agent. A salve made from turmeric can reduce the inflammation from piles.
3. Turmeric clears acne scars when used regularly, and leaves your skin glowing.
4. It has antiseptic properties, so can accelerate the healing of cuts and scrapes.
5. Turmeric is also used as a tooth-whitening paste when mixed with coconut oil and baking soda.
6. Turmeric is also used in herbal soaps.
7. For a natural sunburn remedy, turmeric can be mixed with yogurt or aloe vera gel to act as an after-sun soother.
8. When added to smoothies, turmeric has a sweet taste.
9. Turmeric can be used to relieve a cold or fever. Warm some milk, and mix a teaspoon of turmeric into it.