- whiskey 300 ml (1 ¼ cups)
- Cream 300 ml (1 ¼ cups)
- Sugar 150 g (2/3 cup) • 470 kcal
- Cocoa powder 1 tsp
- Coffee 1 tbsp
This Irish cream is a very easy copycat version for Baileys Irish cream that you can make it for you recipes or as a drink. You only need a handful of ingredients (sugar, cream, whiskey, coffee, cocoa powder) and not much cooking. For this Homemade Irish Cream recipe, whiskey is mixed with a sweetened cream. The result? A boozy, creamy liquor—ready to use in recipes or to enjoy on the rocks. Once you see how easy it is to make your own, you wouldn’t want to drink the store-bought version again. The best part? It stores really well, so you can make one big batch and enjoy it for a while.
What is Irish Cream?
Irish Cream originated in the 1970s. It’s basically an alcoholic liqueur with Irish whiskey, cream, and additional flavorings. In this homemade recipe, we used coffee and cocoa powder, which makes the typical Irish Cream super tasty! Just cream, whiskey, vanilla, cocoa powder, and coffee for a rich and creamy alternative to store-bought Irish cream.
What to serve Homemade Irish Cream with?
Of course, we think the best way to serve Homemade Irish Cream, is by simply enjoying it with some ice. But there are many other ways to serve. Add it to coffee, hot chocolate, or tea. And in summertime, you won’t be able to resist a drizzle of Irish Cream over a bowl of vanilla ice cream. This Homemade Irish Cream goes especially well when served with an apple pie or coffee cake.
– Feel free to add different flavors to the Homemade Irish Cream. Orange extract, peppermint extract or extra dark chocolate will add a delicious depth of flavor.
– For a dairy-free version, use coconut cream (and dairy free cocoa powder).
– If you have an extra tin of condensed milk on hand, you can omit the sugar and use condensed milk. If you don’t have cocoa powder, you can use 1 teaspoon of chocolate syrup (reduce the sugar slightly if the syrup is sweetened).
– To make an Irish Cream, it’s obvious that you need to use Irish whiskey that’s good quality. If you like to drink it neat, then it would taste great in the cream too. Jameson is a good option.
How to store Irish Cream
The glass bottle with Irish Cream can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two months.
What bottles to use for Homemade Irish Cream
It’s best to use glass bottles with tight fitting lids for this recipe. If you want to make them as gifts, you can use smaller glass bottles and tie a ribbon around the neck.
How to make Irish Cream
Add the sugar, cocoa powder, coffee, and cream to a small saucepan.
Cook until you get a smooth cream.
Let it cool.
Add whiskey, and mix well.
Pour in a sealable glass bottle.
To serve, add a few ice cubes in a whiskey glass.
Pour the Irish Cream over the ice cubes and serve.