- angel food cake mix 1 package (16 ounces)
- lemon pie filling 1 can (15-3/4 ounces)
- Shredded coconut 1 cup
- Cream Cheese 8 ounces, softened
- Butter 1/2 cup, softened • 717 kcal
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- confectioners' (icing) sugar 2 ½ cups
- grated lemon zest 3 teaspoons
Next time you want a traybake to serve up at a party, or simply for the sake of it, look no further than these lemon angel cake bars.
This recipe ingeniously combines lemon pie filling and cake mix, along with coconut, to create the base sponge. A deliciously zingy cream cheese and icing sugar frosting makes a great alternative to buttercream.
Preheat oven to 350F/160C fan/gas mark 4. In a large bowl, add the cake mix, lemon pie filling and coconut. Mix until blended, and spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
Once the cake is cool, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth.
Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar. Spread over the cooled cake, and sprinkle with lemon zest. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before cutting into bars or triangles.