- Red bliss potatoes 2 pounds
- Butter 3 tbsp • 717 kcal
- Milk 3/4 cup • 49 kcal
- Salt 1 tsp • 1 kcal
- Pepper 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder 1/2 tsp
Mashed potatoes can be served with just about anything. They really are such a versatile side dish! While there are many, many variations of mashed potatoes that you can make (adding cheese, changing spices etc), this recipe is simple, delicious and can be used anytime! This recipe uses red bliss potatoes which have a very thin skin which does not need to be peeled off and is instead mashed into the potatoes. Not only does this save time but it adds a little color to and otherwise white dish!
- Wash the potatoes and then roughly chop them into pieces about one inch big. The size does not need to be exact as they will just be mashed later on!
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook The potatoes for about 15 minutes or until they are soft and a fork easily goes into the potato . Drain the water
- Place the cooked potatoes in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix briefly just enough to begin to mash the potatoes. Add the butter and mix again, mashing the potatoes and butter together
- Add the salt, pepper and garlic powder to the bowl and mix together again.
- Add the milk slowly as the mixer is running. Once everything is in the mixer, beat the potatoes one medium speed for about 5 minutes. The mashed potatoes should be fluffy and creamy.
- Adjust the seasonings to your taste if needed and then reheat and serve!
-Add 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese along with the seasonings for some great cheesy potatoes.
-If you do not have red bliss potatoes, russet potatoes also work well however, you will need to peel the skin before dicing and cooking them.