Pork loin skewers are a main dish typical of the Italian tradition, very popular in some regions of the North. Also known as uccellini scappati (escaped birds), one the most famous versions are the Lombard and Venetian ones. The slices of pork loin are stuffed and then wrapped in bacon, so as to create classic rolls. Stuck on wooden skewers and alternating with small sausages, they are cooked in a pan with aromatic herbs and white wine. The original name derives from the fact that, in ancient times, hunted birds were roasted on skewers, ironically "escaped" when, in poor times, they were replaced by meat rolls because very similar in shape. Simple and delicious, let’s find out how to make pork loin skewers by following our recipe step by step and enjoy them at a family lunch.
Spread the slices of pork loin on a cutting board and spread a few cubes of bacon in the center (1). Add a bit of pepper.
Roll the loin slices on themselves (2).
Wrap the bacon slices around the pork loin rolls (3).
Make up the skewers; first skewer a piece of sausage and then a roll of pork loin; continue with another sausage (4) and again with another roll.
Brown the garlic in a large pan with the butter and rosemary; arrange the rolls (5) and let them brown well on both sides.
Flavor with chopped sage (6).
Add a glass of white wine (7) and let it evaporate, then cook over low heat. Once cooked, transfer the skewers to individual plates and reduce their sauce.
Cover the skewers with their juice and serve (8).
– Season the slices of pork loin with a pinch of pepper, but leave out salt. The bacon will already be quite savory. You can also add a sage leaf inside each slice of meat, then roll it up and create the roll.
– If you like, you can also flavor your rolls with other aromatic herbs or spices, such as bay leaves, thyme, juniper berries and so on.
– To make a fresh and colorful dish, you can alternate the pieces of meat with slices of zucchini, diced pepper, some cherry tomatoes or slices of onion.
– The regional variations of this recipe are quite numerous. There are those who replace the sausage with cubes of bacon or lard, to be skewered, or with slices of liver. You can also replace bacon with mortadella.
– If you liked this recipe, try other delicious ideas with pork as the main ingredient.
Store the pork loin skewers in the refrigerator, in a special airtight container, for about 2-3 days.