- Butter 1 1/2 cups • 717 kcal
- Sugar 2 cups • 470 kcal
- Eggs 4 • 130 kcal
- Vanilla 1 tsp
- Flour 5 1/4 cups
- Baking powder 2 tsp • 156 kcal
- Salt 1 1/2 tsp • 1 kcal
Perfect for any occasion, these sugar cookies can be bakes into practically any shape you can dream of! A quick cookie dough is easy to roll out after being refrigerated and will create a super buttery, melt in your mouth sugar cookie. These cookies are perfect for decoration with royal icing but are also just as tasty if eaten plain. Use this recipe to make shaped cookie favors which are great for kids parties!
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the mixer, adding one egg at a time, and mix to combine. Scrape down the bowl and mix again, ensuring the eggs are fully incorporated into the butter.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the mixer and blend until a smooth batter forms. Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for at least an hour before rolling.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Use any shape cookie cutter you would like and place the cookie cut outs on a silpat or parchment lined sheet tray.
- Bake the cookies in a 350 ̊F oven for about 8-10 minutes or until they just begin to turn golden brown around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool and decorate as desired or serve plain!
-This cookie dough is very soft (which makes it so yummy!). If it is sticking to your work surface while you are rolling, try using more flour or return the dough to the fridge to cool again. Warm dough will be very hard to work with so try to roll and cut the cookies as quickly as possible.
-Add some lemon zest or orange zest to the dough for a touch more flavor
-Try substituting almond extract in place of vanilla extract for a delicious almond sugar cookie.