Homemade soft pretzel bites are an amazing easy-to-make snack that the whole family will love. These bite-sized treats are easier to make, since there's no fussing around trying to form that classic pretzel shape, and there's very little active cooking time. Whether you opt for the delicious butter and salt combo or make sweet versions, these buttery pretzel bites will rival anything you'll buy at a store. They're a perfect baking project for a lazy afternoon.
Whisk the yeast and water in a bowl. Leave for 10 to 15 minutes, or until frothy.
Stir in the honey.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, add flour and salt. Attach the dough hook, pour in the yeast, and knead on medium for 5 to 6 minutes.
Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and leave in a warm spot.
Wait until doubled in size, about 1 ½ to 2 hours.
Once doubled, punch the dough down and let it rise for a further 45 minutes. Preheat your oven to 450°F. In a large pot or skillet, pour the water and stir in the baking soda. Bring to a boil.
Turn out the dough, cut it into 4 sections, then roll it out into a long rope.
Cut the dough into bite-sized pieces using a sharp knife or bench scraper.
Place the pretzel bites in the boiling water for 45 seconds, then remove them with a slotted spoon and set them onto a paper towel to dry.
Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Beat the egg then brush the pretzel bites with the egg wash. Garnish with coarse salt and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they turn golden brown.
Remove from the oven and brush with butter.
While they're at their tastiest when fresh, you can store leftover pretzels in an airtight container for up to a week. If you want to freeze your soft pretzel bites, keep them in an airtight container and enjoy them within a month.
– The sweet spot for your water temperature is around 105 and 110°F. This will ensure the yeast activates.
– You can use either bread flour or all-purpose flour in this simple made from scratch pretzel recipe.
– If it's cold in your home, place the dough in the oven with the oven light on. This will help it to proof.
– Be sure to brush both sides of the pretzels with butter for maximum taste.
– You can make sugar cinnamon pretzel bites by stirring the cinnamon and sugar together and rolling the pretzels in the mix after you've brushed them with butter. Try different flavor combos and see what you enjoy the most – sweet or savory, there are so many options!