- Clams 500 gr
- Spaghetti 200 gr
- Garlic 1 clutch
- Olive extravergine oil to taste
- Parsley to taste
- Salt to tast • 1 kcal
- Cherry tomatoes 2 optional
Spaghetti with clams is a classic Neapolitan recipe. Spaghetti, clams, just two cherry tomatoes and a lot of fresh parsley. This sea dish features few ingredients and an amazing taste.
- Place the clams in a colander and rinse several times under running water to remove part of the sand (1).
- Put them into a large bowl and cover with cold water (2). Leave for at least one hour.
- Drain the clams and put them in a pan over a high heat (3). Cover and leave for a couple of minutes until most of them have opened.
- Drain the clams reserving the cooking liquid. Filter it with a small colander to to remove any grit or sand, and reserve (4).
- In a frying pan, fry a clove of garlic in a generous amount of oil. once the garlic starts to turn golden, remove it.
- Pour the cooking liquid of the clams and wait for it to thicken slightly (5), then add the clams (6).
- Add two sliced cherry tomatoes (7, optional step). After 2/3 minutes turn off the flame, the clams should not be cooked too much.
- Put the spaghetti into a large pan of salted boiling water and cook until “al dente”. Drain the spaghetti (8) and add to the pan with the clams.
- Add the chopped parsley (9), plate up and serve immediately.
Use fresh clams.Do not pour in white wine, the clams would lose their taste.Discard any clams that are still closed.Reserve a spoonful of the pasta cooking water, it may turn useful if the spaghetti appear to be dry.
According to tradition, spaghetti alle vongole is a classic main course of Christmas Eve in Naples. It soon gained its place also in other Italian regions, which customized the recipe. In Venice, for example, spaghetti with clams is prepared with the addition of ginger. About the Neapolitan recipe, some argue that it should be “in bianco”, without any addition of tomato sauce, whilst some are proud supporters of the “red version” with tomato sauce on it. We opted for an intermediate version, in white but with the addition of some cherry tomatoes, “no more than 2” so as not to alter the taste of clams. White, red or just slightly spotted, this dish is delicious!
Spaghetti alle vongole can be made in two different ways
In white: the method is the one we have shown you – just skip the addition of the two tomatoesIn red: add tomato sauce to lightly fried garlic and oilThere are no other variations: if you add vegetables or other ingredients, it will be no longer spaghetti with clams but a different recipe.