- White onion 1/2 large
- Red bell pepper 1/2
- Olive oil 1 tbsp
- White rice 1 cup
- Chicken stock 2 cups
- Canned plum tomatoes 1 cup, diced
- Salt 1 tsp • 1 kcal
- Pepper 1/2 tsp
There is something that is just so great about Spanish rice that makes it a necessity to any Spanish inspired meal. If you don't have a great rice, the meal just isn't complete! Well, here is an easy and tasty recipe for Spanish rice that will be sure to satisfy everyone. Onions and bell peppers are sautéed together and then the white rice is also tossed in the skillet to absorb all that great flavor. Cooked in chicken broth and tossed with diced tomatoes, this is not your average rice! While this rice is great alone, it is amazing inside a burrito or paired with some nice fresh fish.
- Slice the red bell pepper in half and remove the seeds. Dice the pepper and the onion into small pieces.
- Sauté the red bell pepper and onion together with the olive oil. Cook over medium heat until they begin to brown. Set aside for now.
- Dice the plum tomatoes, saving the juice as well. Set aside
- Add the white rice and chicken broth to a small sauce pan and stir to combine.
- Bring the rice and chicken broth to a boil and then lower the heat and cover the pot. Allow the rice to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Once all of the juice has been absorbed into the rice, turn off the heat.
- Add the tomatoes, pepper and onions to the rice and stir to combine everything. Add salt and pepper and serve!
-If you do not have canned tomatoes, add fresh diced tomatoes or you can even substitute a fresh tomato salsa.
-Canned corn is also a common addition in Spanish rice. Simply add the corn at the end of the recipe along with the tomatoes
-Make this rice vegetarian by using vegetable stock or just water to cook the rice.