- Sweet Potatoes 1 pound
- Butter 1/2 cup • 717 kcal
- Brown sugar 1 cup
- Milk 1/2 cup • 49 kcal
- Cinnamon 1 tsp
- Nutmeg 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla 2 tsp
- Pie crust 1, unbaked
Sweet potato pie is a great alternative to a traditional pumpkin pie. While the filling is slightly less sweet than pumpkin pie, the delicious marshmallow topping makes sweet potato pie a clear dessert. Cooked sweet potatoes are mashed together with warm fall spices, eggs and milk and poured into a buttery pie crust. The pie is then baked and topped with marshmallows and broiled in order to perfectly toast the topping. While you can definitely skip the marshmallow topping on this pie, it truly puts the dish over the edge from being just good to fantastic! This is a great recipe to have for fall and the holiday season!
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. You do not need to cut the potatoes into perfect shaped pieces but they should all be roughly the same size in order to cook consistently.
- Place the chopped potatoes into a large pot of water and boil for about 15 minutes. The potatoes should be soft enough to easily stab with a fork. Drain the water
- Place the cooked potatoes in a mixer with a paddle attachment. Mash the potatoes slightly then add the butter, brown sugar, eggs and milk. Mix until a smooth puree forms. Add the spices and mix again.
- Pour the sweet potato filling into an unbaked pie crust and bake in a 350 ̊F oven for 45 minutes or until the center of the pie has set.
- Remove the pie from the oven and top with marshmallows. Make sure to cover the whole top.
- Place the pie under a broiler and toast the marshmallows for about 5 minutes or until they turn a golden brown. Allow the pie to cool then enjoy!
-You can also use a small kitchen torch to toast the marshmallow topping rather than a broiler.
-Roasting the potatoes also works well. Simply wrap the whole sweet potatoes in aluminum foil and cook for one hour in a 350 ̊F oven. Allow the potatoes to cool and then scoop out the cooked filling. Continue with the recipe as written
-This pie tastes great cold or warm so serve it right out of the oven or right from the fridge!