- Chicken breasts, cut into cubes 500 g/ 1.1lb
- Red bell pepper, chopped 1
- chopped spring onions 2
- Carrot 1
- cooked short grain rice (aka sushi rice) 500 g/ 1.1lb
- Soy sauce 3 tbsp
- Honey 3 tbsp
- Cornstarch 3 tbsp • 338 kcal
- Vegetable Oil 4-6 tbsp
- Chopped spring onion to serve
If you’re looking for a creative way to serve teriyaki chicken, look no further. These Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls are very creative and are sure to impress your guests. But the best of all, is that you don’t need to spend hours in front of the oven to produce these original bites! There’s no marinating needed ahead of time, you only need soy sauce and honey. Of course, if you have some leftover teriyaki sauce in the fridge, you’re welcome to use that too!
How to make Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
Even though this recipe may seem fancy or impressive, it’s actually very easy. You simply need to slice a few chicken breasts, cook them with some veggies, add honey and soy sauce and a bit of thickener (we used cornstarch).
Because the carrots take a longer time to cook, you can shred or grate them. This will ensure even cooking.
– You might feel tempted to add salt, but remember that the soy sauce is already salty enough! If you don’t want to use soy sauce, you can also use liquid or coconut aminos.
– If you don’t have cornstarch, you can substitute it with tapioca flour (1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of tapioca flour).
– Make these Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls even faster by using chopped frozen veggies. You can also use other vegetables: green or yellow bell pepper, corn, zucchini, snap peas…basically anything you like!
– The rice doesn’t freeze well, but you can make the chicken mix ahead of time. Freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months, or store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
– Chopped peanuts or toasted sesame seeds make a great topping for these Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls.
– These Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls are delicious served on their own, or with a side salad.
Preheat oven to 230ºC/450ºF. Add a small amount of vegetable boil to a skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken cubes until golden brown and cooked through.
Add the bell pepper, onion, and carrots.
Add the soy sauce and honey and stir through.
Add the cornstarch and stir through over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
In a bowl, add the cooked rice and mash it with a fork or potato masher until fine.
Spray a cupcake or muffin mold with cooking spray. Take a small amount of rice and use your hands to press it into the mold, forming a “cup”.
Repeat the process for all six the molds.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the molds from the oven and fill them with the teriyaki filling. Sprinkle with sliced spring onion and serve.