Top 3 Compelling Reasons to Steer Clear of Soft Serve Ice Cream

Summer may not be complete without it but not eating soft serve ice cream could potentially save your life. This is linked to the way it is prepared as questions arise regarding unhygienic practices of commercial vendors. Read ahead to learn more.

By Cookist

Many people enjoy soft serve ice cream. Not only is it rich, but it is also creamy and it triggers nostalgia. But what if we told you that the treat can sometimes contain potentially life-threatening bacteria?

Below are the major reasons you should reconsider eating soft serve ice cream:

1. Soft serve machines can house deadly bacteria


Soft serve is usually dispensed from a machine, which means it is vulnerable to contamination if the machines aren’t properly sanitized.

According to Janilyn Hutchings, a Certified Profession in Food Safety from State Food Safety, “soft serve…machines should be cleaned and sanitized every 10–24 hours.”

When cleaning of these machines is not done diligently and regularly, mold can quickly develop  or it could become a breeding ground for invisible bacteria.

2. Soft serve machines are difficult to clean


Since it is very difficult to thoroughly clean a soft serve machine, it is easy for the task to get overlooked or done inappropriately.

3. The soft serve mixture can easily get contaminated.


Most soft serve ice cream is made with an unpasteurized base that needs to be stored at below 40 degrees. 

Storing it in that temperature range ensures that the ice cream base, which already contains natural bacteria and has a high potential to grow more quickly due to its high moisture levels, stays safe for consumption.


The above reasons do not automatically mean you should always boycott soft serve ice cream. If you want it badly, you can make it yourself otherwise, it is best to accept that consuming soft serve is a risk that could potentially be life threatening.

Every dish has a story
Find out more on Cookist social networks