Cheese lovers have asked this question over and over for years. Why do humans, who despise anything moldy consume moldy cheesy? Keep reading to be in the know.
You have probably always heard about how terrible molds are, especially for perishables. You are also encouraged to throw out moldy food. However, some molds can be safely consumed.
These are used to make cheeses such as Brie, Blue Cheese, and Camembert. For Blue Cheese, Penicillium cultures are added and they are what create dark blue or blue-grey veins throughout the cheese.
These are safe for consumption because they do not produce toxins harmful to us. It is also helpful to know that the way Blue Cheese is aged creates a level of acidity, salinity, moisture, density, temperature, and oxygen flow that cannot support the growth of dangerous molds.
In fact, the human body can use the various properties found in blue cheese to contribute to our healthy digestion.
Blue molds cause a breakdown of proteins in cheese known as proteolysis which creates a very creamy taste and texture. It also breaks down the fats, known as lipolysis, which gives blue cheese its infamous tangy, sharp flavors.
One good reason people love moldy cheese is because this cheese often contains much more salt than other cheeses, which creates a flavor that makes you want to keep eating,
Cheeses in Europe were aged in high moisture caves, which are also perfect environments to produce mold. Gorgonzola dates back to around 879 AD, and Roquefort was invented in 1070. Even today, all Roquefort that exists around the world is still made in the small French village where it was created.
It is also possible people enjoy blue cheese as they grow older because their taste buds reduce in strength. This means that flavors that people might not have enjoyed in childhood or younger can become some of their favorite foods.